Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject$$$ - small business preparation? small business, f2f interactions:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13373426&mesg_id=13373442
13373442, $$$ - small business preparation? small business, f2f interactions:
Posted by poetx, Sun Mar-15-20 02:58 PM
just jotting down thoughts here, on industry and impacts

small business dependent upon face to face interaction -
outlook - 3 - 8 week, at minimum disruption based upon increasing guidance (recommendations, then, eventually, legally enforced ) on social distancing.

my wife's candle business as a case study. we had a huge show planned for this weekend. fri-sat-sun. we had to stock up in advance for it. they waited until the last possible minute to announce the cancellation. so that was a big hit. and then we had our biggest spring lineup yet, planned, with another 5 really big artisan and craft events and markets between now and April. this is supplemental income for us, but for many of our fellow vendors, this is a primary source of income. a lot of these folks (and our customer sets) are older or have medical issues.

optimistically if things return to some semblance of normalcy by May or so, it's gonna be really tough.

What are we doing?

we'll do some stuff to increase our online business. we don't want to be crass or opportunistic. we have this one nice old lady who has been asking for our honeysuckle jasmine candle. we're going to call her and let her know i'll drop a candle off to her. (alternative would be for her to visit a place that carries our candles but the shopkeepers are old and medically fragile).

depending upon the length of this thing, there won't be a lot of people with disposable income. for those that do have it like that, i guess a shop small campaign would be cool.

this assumes, however, that the whole postal / delivery infrastructure stays up and active. really not our primary focus right now.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad