Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSome general thoughts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13373349&mesg_id=13373529
13373529, Some general thoughts
Posted by Nodima, Mon Mar-16-20 05:45 AM
• If you live in a less population dense city or town, don't be afraid of your locally owned restaurants or bars. A lot of information and strategies have been shared over the past 48 hours and many of these spaces have essentially become doctor's offices. I work in a place that has the luxury of sheer square footage, so we remove chairs and menus from the venue as soon as a table finishes their meal, and that is one of the smaller steps we've taken to avoid issue.

• Most of that is irrelevant, because soon most states will have closed their restaurants and bars. Most of these businesses should have what in my state is a Class C license, which allows its holder to make off-premise sales. You drunks already know this, but that means you can get a 6-pack from your favorite bar at your least favorite time (admittedly, at a slightly higher price than most markets).

• Most of these places are desperate to remain open, and all of their employees are desperate to remain employed.

• Therefore, keep on the lookout for bars and restaurants you love offering delivery and takeout for all kinds of things they normally haven't. If you're desperate for a hamburger better than you could ever, or an ingredient for a cocktail you've been craving if only the air weren't filled with the filth of reality, there is a chef or bartender just as desperate to give you that shit.

• That said, I'm no legal expert. Please don't ask for a shot of Sambuca during your fave's trial period with Postmates just because you see the button. Call in, order from the staff on hand.

• Which is the primary thing I want to get to - I love GrubHub, but I only love GrubHub because they bought SkipTheDishes, which I only loved because the restaurant I work for signed up with them. I could've easily been a Door Dash or an Uber Eats person. Please double back and admire the equal opportunity and grammar I've used so far. Whiskey and 5AM can be a tough pairing from time to time.

• All that to say, the designers and operators of those applications do not employ their employees, they contract them. If you find yourself craving a total delivery banger like, oh God I'm gonna say it, Paddy McGown's or Flavors or Salween, call in and find out if some of their front of house staff have been offered delivery positions. Call your other favorites that don't find themselves on delivery hubs and ask if they are now offering delivery. Try as often as possible to support the people who have attached their livelihood to the place they work, rather than the applications who derive their value from whomever is available to take a brief survey and provide a driver's license.

• Be safe, and remain healthy. Don't be too scared. But be scared enough. Thanks to those of you that patronize those of us that are balancing psychic petrification with that wonderfully sardonic comic timing service industry workers are known for. Appreciation for those of you who accept what this moment is, find your way to support any number of flailing lower- and middle-class workers in the ways you can. Understanding for the immensely talented people who will just have fun in their house for two weeks.

• Has anybody else been watching Devs on Hulu? I can't tell how into it I am yet.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz