Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectas a major K-12 urban district you'd think there would be a clear plan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13373349&mesg_id=13373444
13373444, as a major K-12 urban district you'd think there would be a clear plan
Posted by rawsouthpaw, Sun Mar-15-20 03:15 PM
but there obviously isn't. they suggested we explore whatever we could around providing "continuity of instruction" using online platforms. however the obscene inequities our enormously wealthy society allows to persist means families are scrambling to secure childcare, food planning (we feed hundreds of thousands of students twice a day), etc, and the availability of tech and online access is limited for our students. our union reminded all that highly structured teaching and learning in these rapidly changing circumstances isn't realistic nor legally mandated.

so we made, copied and handed off packets of work in under 24 hours at the request of our principal all day friday while learning we aren't to come in monday. the admin was in such a rush they didn't include my whole material. as a high school and middle school art teacher that knows they have few if any art supplies i had to plan accordingly, and i likely will not focus on their progress in the weeks ahead. i told them they have a lot of personal concerns that they (and i) need to attend to.