Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBeen productive, which is kind of annoying
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13373349&mesg_id=13373389
13373389, Been productive, which is kind of annoying
Posted by Walleye, Sun Mar-15-20 08:23 AM
As I whined about in the other post, I've got to move three of my classes online in the next couple days but I also went into spring break expecting to use some of the spare time to catch up on the small mountain of grading that I let slide right before break. Old habits, you know?

Anyhow, that back grading is all clear, so I'm working round the clock to move two different "World Religions: Eastern Traditions" classes online. They're on different schedules but the redundancy should help. Any decision I make for one section will apply for the other one, so that's more heavy lifting and less actual thinking.

The tough one is that I have to teach a "20th Century Global History" course as well. I'm technically a historian, but I studied religious history and I've had a bit more traction picking up religious studies classes than history. So I'm *thrilled* when I get the chance to teach actual history. But the 20th century world isn't really part of my training AND the class is just starting up this week because the school uses varying schedules AND it's a three hour long daily course AND the school has a lot of students from poorer backgrounds so it is extremely hands-on when it comes to keeping students on track (substantially more than any place I've taught) so I'm getting a lot more attention than I want and it's making me kind of anxious since nobody actually knows what we're doing here.

Still, making progress. And that's in itself a bit frustrating because I sort of hoped I'd be the sort of person who'd make my employers sweat a bit. Not a single one (I have another job coaching track that's canceled for the foreseeable future) has mentioned anything about additional compensation for the work that I'm doing to transfer these classes and I doubt that's going to happen. But if I mishandle the transition or drop the ball in some other way, I strongly suspect that's going to impact future class assignments. And since I depend on those to, you know, get paid - that's more than a bit concerning.

I also get paid seasonally for the track thing and I expected the check for indoor track to be available for me to pick up sometime this week. Then the school closed (its a private school) and zip, not a word. That's a not-insignificant amount of income that just vanished indefinitely, but like a sucker I'm still going to do my job and send workouts in case there's anywhere the kids are safe to do them.

Would have been cool to sit at home and just say "fuck all four of you" to my bosses, but apparently I'm conditioned to do my part. Which: yuck.