Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI wouldn't be disappointed if the VP isn't a Black woman.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13372455&mesg_id=13372922
13372922, I wouldn't be disappointed if the VP isn't a Black woman.
Posted by jane eyre, Thu Mar-12-20 11:17 AM
>Its time for a woman to get one of the slots.

But I agree that the VP pick should be a woman, especially because women seem highly motivated to vote when Trump is on the ballot.

I have no idea who would be a good pick.

I sort of think the VP pick should be Latino. I wouldn't complain about Castro, really, but I like Castro when Warren is on the top of the ticket, a lot better. He's also not a woman.

Or...the VP could be, generally, a first or second generation immigrant. One reason Kamala works is that her story touches different aspects of the American experience that Americans can find some connection to.

I love Masie Hirono. Absolutely love. But I think she's most effective where she is. I also like Pramila Jayapal, but I don't think she's ready for prime time yet.

If the VP nominee is a White woman, she should be a so-called "nasty" woman like Warren. Although I think Warren is an excellent candidate and brilliant woman (she was my Presidential preferred candidate!), I doubt she would go over well in the general as VP.

Katie Porter, Warren's former student is a fantastic Representative and would likely be a good VP pick, but maybe like Jayapal...not quite yet for prime time. I hope Porter stays around because I can see myself voting for her for the Democratic nominee for President.

By prime time I mean: seasoned enough to view the party's vying for power through the lens of a multi-faceted strategy to take on Republican and right-wing opposition. Seasoned enough to withstand a united GOP, which has proven, time and again, to be a strategically ruthless and dark opponent with a deep bank account. Seasoned enough to use power to fight and check mate opponents. Seasoned enough to know how to win.