Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHmm. Maybe it can vary depending on the job/employer too?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13371332&mesg_id=13371370
13371370, Hmm. Maybe it can vary depending on the job/employer too?
Posted by kfine, Thu Mar-05-20 04:48 PM

I've wavered, I think.

My 2 most recent jobs involved:

-one where I had a ton of flexibility, could just log in remotely from my own computer/tab for whatever I needed, and basically only had to go on-site 1-2 days a week

v.

-one where there was virtually no flexibility, you had to sign multiple agreements just to be authorized to work off-site, and the data, work equipment, and VPN we had to use were so tightly controlled that you could only use them in off-site locations approved prior and the location had to meet very specific criteria.

I enjoyed WFH in the first scenario and was often most productive there. But then.. I preferred to work on-site in the second scenario and was often most productive there lol

Commute was equidistant between the 2 jobs so I don't think that had anything to do with it. I had a good work crew at both too, so I don't think it was social. The only other things I think might have factored of are that in the first scenario, the PM on one of my projects was a dragon and I/everyone tried to limit interaction with her as much as possible lol, and in the second scenario there was a lot more regulation surrounding WFH so it felt more serious or burdensome or something... like a whole planned event. My boss even offered 1 pre-approved day/wk to WFH and I rarely took it.