Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe problem is just how naive and/or disingenuous this all is.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13369593&mesg_id=13370935
13370935, The problem is just how naive and/or disingenuous this all is.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Mar-04-20 05:56 PM
>I think it's funny that most people are gleeful in here that
>they've stopped Bernie. The Bernie base cares first and
>foremost about policy, politics isn't a sport to us and we
>care about the material well being of others,

If that was true then your movement would be fighting for small, incremental changes *at least* in cases where the big proposals wouldn't happen.

Obamacare (which admittedly was never "enough") improved the material well being of millions. The modest student loan forgiveness programs of the Obama years improved the material well being of huge numbers of Americans. Simply having more Democrat-appointed judges in the judiciary would improve the material well being of millions. There is no problem more important than climate change. The (extremely modest) regulations the Obama administration was able to put on auto emissions, the loan programs and research funding they gave to efficiency and alternative energy, actually made a quantifiable difference on this coming catastrophe.

A proposal that's too "radical" to become law doesn't do a fucking thing but provide an opportunity for its supporters to wash their hands of the world's problems. That's what I see the Bernie supporters doing.

>hence "fight for
>someone you don't know". To me it is sad to be happy that
>70,000 people a year will still die without M4A under Biden or
>Trump.

And they'd die without M4A under Sanders, too, because there is no way to pass it.

There's an outside chance we might be able to win back the senate. If a President Biden found himself with a Democratic House and Senate, he might actually be able to pass a public health insurance option, which WOULD save many of those tens of thousands of people.

If Sanders came into office, even if he had Democratic majorities in Congress, he would expend all his political capital on M4A and it would not pass. We know this. Who knows if he'd even be able to scale back to something real? What about all the people who die because Bernie didn't deliver them even a public option?

I have been a progressive for my entire life. I've spent my time and energy arguing that single-payer is the best kind of health care system since before OKP even existed. So, by the way, did Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama. No mainstream Democrat disputes the moral case for single-payer health care. And few, if they were unconstrained by weaponized misconceptions among the voters, would dispute the long-run economic case for it. But I also know that it's not a promise that any presidential candidate can make and honestly hope to deliver on. If it were to happen, it would require a moment of massive economic upheaval (that's why it was able to happen in Europe), and would cause more economic upheaval in the process. And in the short term, yes, it would cost people's lives. The fact that you pretend not to know about this reality, and dismiss as a shill of the insurance companies anyone who actually does understand it, is one of the best reasons not to ever take a Sanders supporter seriously.

>That America will still have the most people in jail
>under Biden or Trump.

Or Sanders.

>That 500,000 people will still be
>homeless under Biden or Trump.

Or Sanders. Why do you pretend that Bernie Sanders has the power to end homelessness?

>That children will continue
>dying in Yemen under Biden or Trump. etc. etc.

Etc. etc. Yeah, Bernie makes a hell of a lot of promises. You should look at them with a more skeptical eye.

>I think a lot of people on here have nothing to really lose no
>matter who is in and live, comfortable, safe lives. That
>includes me, but I have empathy and compassion for the poor
>and disenfranchised

Then why don't you care more about making their lives better? Why is your movement more important than actual progress?

>and a Bernie administration would have had
>huge material effects on those people's lives

It really is disturbing that you just take him at his word when he makes promises that he OBVIOUSLY could never deliver on. Bernie Sanders does not have any special powers. The only power he ever claimed to have was the power to drive a massive political movement. And that is now being revealed as the biggest lie he ever told.

>and now it most
>likely won't. To me that is not cause for celebration.
>
>Obviously things will be marginally better under Biden
>compared to Trump but there was so much hope for a truly
>better world with the Bernie movement. Does AOC have the
>stuff to make it next time, I think it's a possibility.

She might. The fever won't break for your movement until you get the kind of massive electoral loss to a Republican that you've had coming all along. If Biden doesn't make it (which is most definitely a strong possibility), then I imagine she will lose in a landslide to Mike Pence. Then a decade or so later we start running as "new Democrats" once again and finally start winning again, with candidates to the right of Joe Biden. I am not looking forward to that at all.