Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIn my opinion, yes. An event that affects the ability to trade
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13369212&mesg_id=13374084
13374084, In my opinion, yes. An event that affects the ability to trade
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Mar-18-20 03:40 PM
For 9-11, they closed the markets for a few days because there were physical/infrastructure disruptions, not just uncertainty.

>
>Thats something i was wondering. if the markets are closed, what >happens when they reopen? i would think you need some advanced timing >before closing but could that be worse than just saying, markets arent >opening tomorrow? how do you handle reopening them?
>

I would think the opposite. They could suddenly stop trading in the middle of the day. Then announce the reopening date. When that day comes, everything opens up like usual.

>
>thats the big question i have on markets closing. what would be the >practical effect on people? would markets ever be completely closed >or would there be some exception for accessing funds? how easy is it >to get cash from your investments right now? what is that process >like?
>

There wouldn't be exceptions. It's like the bank being closed (and no ATMs existing). You can't withdraw until the bank opens again. Similarly, the only way to get cash from a stock is to sell, and if the market is closed you gotta wait til its open again..
Right now it is easy to get cash. Just open up your trading account (like Etrade) and click sell. Wait a day, and you'll have cash sitting in your account.

>
>i would argue this is extremely special from anything we have seen >in our lifetimes. not even 9/11. that was a scare but it was a quick >hit then a climb back up. crashes due to bubbles are straight up >part of the market. this is more like a war. its really outside of >the everyday market ups and downs. this is life changing. its a >reset to a way of life. capital kind of loses its purpose during a >time like this. at least in my point of view. im guessing all the >countries closing borders, a huge portion of the population being >forced to isolate, and oh yeah dealing with the actual health of >people will upend the economy in a way we havent seen.
>

On all this I'll just say it seems special because the drops are huge. But the way you are framing it, makes it seem like a game where stocks are game pieces.

Stocks actually represent something real. If you buy Delta stock today, you become an owner of Delta. As an owner you are entitled to a portion of their profits. When people think their profits will go up (because of a govt bailout), the price will rise. When people think the govt will leave them hanging, the price will fall. This will be the case whether the economy is thriving or in shambles.

If we get to the point where capital actually doesn't mean anything, then throw everything I said out the window.