Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think I know what you mean.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13367410&mesg_id=13368574
13368574, I think I know what you mean.
Posted by kfine, Sun Feb-23-20 08:57 PM

Note: doesn't it feel like there's sub-primaries happening within the primary?? Like a left-wing primary is happening, a moderate/center-left primary is happening, and then the left-wing v. the moderates and center-left for the nom lol.

Anyway here's some counts I came across recently, maybe they'll interest you too:

Counties Won (swiped from a good twitter thread but didn't grab the link :( Everything looked legit when I cross-checked against wikipedia, ballotpedia, cnn, etc tho, but feel free to not trust these numbers lol)

NV
==
BS--10
PB---5
JB---0
AK---0
EW---0

NH
==
BS---7
PB---3
JB---0
AK---0
EW---0

IA (*excl. counties being reviewed)
==
PB--59
BS--20
JB---8
AK---5
EW---1

Pivot Counties won (i.e. Obama-->45 counties) as of today:
==================
PB--20
BS--10
JB---1
AK---2
EW---0

Total Counties won (broad geographic support as opposed to just urban)
==================
PB--67
BS--37
JB---8
AK---5
EW---1

My takeaways for the "left-wing primary":

*Bernie's won

*Warren BARELY won her only(!!) county, Johnson County, IA :( She beat Bernie by only 0.3

*I don't know if I see a path forward for Warren anymore :( Tragic. Still rooting for her tho. I think her trouble started when she mapped out her financing for single-payer (unlike Bernie, which was absolutely the ethical thing to do). Then, when she mapped out her transition/public option plan she lost the left-wing. Her spat with Bernie seems to have been the nail in the coffin; they became as hostile to/about her as they are to/about Pete now. I think all that might remain of her coalition is a smattering of young progressives that were exclusive fans of hers (not really Bernie's) from the beginning and some older folks who want to see a woman elected pres (is she losing some of them to Klob??)

My takeaways for the "moderate primary":

*Biden placed well in NV almost exclusively due to a large minority in Clark County, a county he didn't even win.

*Buttigieg is the only moderate/center-left candidate that has defeated Bernie in counties in every state so far

*Buttigieg has won the most pivot counties of any moderate or left-wing candidate in the race and has appealed to voters in twice the number of pivot counties that Bernie has

That's all I got lol. I really don't know what to trust in terms of how things will pan out. But I guess there's value in looking at what's already happened. We'll see I guess.

>I don't care much about the "moderate's" policy. I care about
>the progressive Warren/Sanders policy positions because they
>create problems for viability in the general. For the life of
>me, I didn't get why Warren kept going on and on about some of
>her positions especially because I think she's the strongest
>candidate.
>
>I just want a win.