Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthanks for that link
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13367410&mesg_id=13367790
13367790, thanks for that link
Posted by mista k5, Wed Feb-19-20 10:56 AM
definitely found some information i had not seen previously. its interesting that they estimate warrens plan could save 1.2 trillion (only second to petes 1.4 trillion) but could cost up to 11.2 trillion more (only second to bernie).

Is there more detail about petes option than the below?

"Buttigieg would expand the Affordable Care Act (ACA), establish a “Medicare for All Who Want It” public option, automatically enroll eligible Americans into affordable coverage, retroactively enroll those who don’t sign up for insurance, and establish a new fund to reimburse providers for uncompensated care.

Buttigieg would increase the generosity of ACA premium subsidies in several ways. Currently, subsidies are based on the cost of a “silver” plan with a 70 percent actuarial value.38 Under Buttigieg’s proposal, subsidies would be determined based on the cost of a “gold” plan with an 80 percent actuarial value. He would further increase subsidies by reducing the share of income that subsidized households would be expected to pay for their insurance, capping it at 8.5 percent of income for all Americans (currently, those below 400 percent of the federal poverty level are capped at 9.8 percent; there is no cap for those above that threshold).39 In addition, he would restore funding for and expand cost-sharing reductions.40 Finally, he would overturn multiple Trump Administration rules supporting the sale of less generous insurance plans.41

Buttigieg would also establish a new “Medicare for All Who Want It” public option that would be available to those purchasing insurance on the insurance exchanges, low-income households in states that have not expanded Medicaid under the ACA, and those who currently lack insurance. In addition, those with employer coverage could opt to instead use their employer’s contribution to buy into the public plan, and employers themselves could buy the plan on behalf of their workers (this implies a repeal of the ACA’s employer mandate – though the campaign has said some employer contribution would remain). Buttigieg would automatically enroll individuals eligible for free coverage into the public option. Finally, he would establish a process to retroactively enroll Americans without insurance in the public option and charge them a premium after the fact (presumably as part of tax filing).42 Medical providers would be reimbursed for care given prior to enrollment through a new uncompensated care fund.

Buttigieg’s proposal resembles Option #5 in From Incremental to Comprehensive Health Reform by Blumberg, Holahan, Beuttgens, Gangopadhyaya, Garrett, Shartzer, Simpson, Wang, Favreault, and Arnos of the Urban Institute (Urban) in many ways.43 Based on Urban’s estimates, we believe these policies would cost $1.6 trillion over a decade under our central estimate and between $1.4 trillion and $1.8 trillion in our low- and high-cost scenarios. This is consistent with the campaign’s estimate of $1.5 trillion.44"

is the 8.5 cap on all insurance costs or only on premiums? deductibles would be on top of that or vice versa?

this was a detail i had not focused on before but it is interesting

"those with employer coverage could opt to instead use their employer’s contribution to buy into the public plan, and employers themselves could buy the plan on behalf of their workers"

this detail is worrying

"Finally, he would establish a process to retroactively enroll Americans without insurance in the public option and charge them a premium after the fact (presumably as part of tax filing)."

my main question about petes plan is how many people would be underinsured? i think that really is the important question. although i think medicare for all makes the most sense, in every way, i do think it would be acceptable to have a plan that makes sure no one is underinsured.