Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGood, not great. Definitely worth the watch (spoilers)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13367400&mesg_id=13418073
13418073, Good, not great. Definitely worth the watch (spoilers)
Posted by bentagain, Tue Dec-29-20 09:29 AM
A couple of criticisms;
Never for a minute didn’t think Isaac was her Dad. Literally just waiting for the reveal...which was very late in the movie and fell flat, IMO
We get some backstory on why Mom didn’t reveal her terminal diagnosis. The mother’s distance and unavailability are rationalized as learned behavior from her mother. The climax of the story is Isaa breaking the cycle, left me wondering why her mother didn’t intentionally break the cycle from her mother.
A couple of scenes that Isaa was weak as an actor;
The sex scene. She was great as a leading lady. She looked bad af. Long way from awkward black girl. The connection with Darius was convincing...until coitus. The look on her face after sex was not ecstasy...it was more like...meh, you aiight...
Toward the end of the movie, maybe the final time reading her mom’s letter, I’m in tears...they cut to Isaa on a bed crying...and it just wasn’t convincing.

Great job by Lakeith. He’ll forever be Darius to me, but he did a great job separating Mike’s character from the Darius role.

+1, Lil’ Rel as the brother in NYC...c’mon son...I know he’s getting a lot of placement, but that role could have been better than Lil Rel doing Lil Rel

Really enjoyed the movie. Happy for Darius and Isaa getting leading roles in a big budget studio modern black love story. Really had a lot of correlations to my real life. Good movie.

+2, soundtrack was phenomenal