Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMusicians: Machine to pair with an OP-1?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13366066
13366066, Musicians: Machine to pair with an OP-1?
Posted by hardware, Mon Feb-10-20 10:55 AM
so i'm thinking about offloading some of my smaller gear. I'm considering shedding my Circuit and all my Pocket Operators and putting the money on a Deluge. I'd considered a Digitakt, but i kinda like the idea of having something i don't need to plug in. i'm still kinda on the fence tho.

My setup would be OP-1, Yamaha Reface DX, ???. I'm working more in hip-hop, R&B, and house.
13366133, What role would the Machine play with that setup?
Posted by flipnile, Mon Feb-10-20 12:52 PM
Not gonna front, I don't really know what an OP-1 or Maschine really does.

What do you sequence with?
13366194, the Circuit currently
Posted by hardware, Mon Feb-10-20 02:06 PM
The OP-1 has 5 sequencers on its own. The Maschine doesn't really work without a computer tho.
13366253, How do 5 sequencers work together?
Posted by flipnile, Mon Feb-10-20 03:19 PM
I'm guessing sequences of sequences, which would make certain things much more interesting (drums, for me).

Closest I get to this is slaving my MPC to Logic.

What DAW do you use? I do all of my sequencing on Logic now, although I think the MPC sequencer is superior. Everything except drums (samples) and keys (VSTs) gets tracked in from the sound card.

Kinda interested in some of this new stuff because my preteen son makes beats (on his phone), and I want to start getting him pieces of a real rig so he can go deeper.
13366261, RE: How do 5 sequencers work together?
Posted by hardware, Mon Feb-10-20 03:30 PM
they're just different methods of sequencing. (arpeggiator, endless, finger, tambola, etc) they don't really work together, per se. The OP-1 is basically a lot of tools that you record onto a virtual 6min 4-track tape.

>What DAW do you use? I do all of my sequencing on Logic now,
>although I think the MPC sequencer is superior. Everything
>except drums (samples) and keys (VSTs) gets tracked in from
>the sound card.

Ableton. I don't really sequece a ton in the DAW, its usually just mixing and mastering, adding effects, adding extra sounds and playing midi with the Reface.

>
>Kinda interested in some of this new stuff because my preteen
>son makes beats (on his phone), and I want to start getting
>him pieces of a real rig so he can go deeper.

get a PO-33. its a nice gateway into sampling and sequencing.
13366830, Just realized I read "machine" as "maschine" and not "machine"
Posted by flipnile, Wed Feb-12-20 02:39 PM
You're *not* asking about Native Instruments' Maschine, right?

Just for a good piece of hardware to pair with the OP-1?

If that's the question, I'd go with a good synth / keyboard. Looking for one for myself currently. If i had Roland Fantom money, I'd get one of those (or something similar).

Edit: Just looked up the OP-1, and it's a synth too. Not sure anymore. Maybe a MIDI controller?
13367168, RE: Musicians: Machine to pair with an OP-1?
Posted by howardlloyd, Fri Feb-14-20 05:57 AM
Man trade all that shit for an mpc one

The op-1 has 5 sequencers but can’t save anything. Lol