Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectim honestly not sure anymore.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13364296&mesg_id=13364377
13364377, im honestly not sure anymore.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Jan-30-20 06:03 AM
warren i believe would make the best president. she presents the best case for recalibrating the scales back toward the working class without coming off like a vigilante against the rich (why suburban and wealthy whites are comfortable with her). her proposals are sensible and measured and seem to be formulated for the best chance of actually bringing people on board and passing (oddly she has given more effort to detail things than bernie has when it comes to policies that bernie supporters claim she stole from him). shes far and away the best pitch person for an actual mapped out agenda. her greatest ability is her presentation of information to flat out teach those who arent yet educated (her professional trade).

but shes struggling to make inroads on a broad level with folks outside of college educated white people. shes spent most of her career being barely above water in her own home state (the most educated state in america where those voters obviously boost her). and i acknowledge her vulnerabilities for simply being a woman in america (i posted that poll a while ago that shows how far the drop off is between men and women candidates among white non college educated voters...regardless of where they actually are on the ideological spectrum).

---

personally im closer to bernie in terms of ideology. but i have doubts about his ability to effectively govern, his desire to lift the entire party (like downballot candidates) especially those who arent ideologically aligned with him, and his desire to negotiate/compromise to get anything passed. anyone who has spent half their adult life in congress yet only has 7 bills to their name (2 being post office namings) says a lot (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPYQaLLVAAEwvi9?format=png&name=900x900). it also says a lot that you could barely drum up more congressional allies/endorsements for your initial prez run than martin omalley (someone who never worked in congress and never had political exposure outside his state of maryland).

basically i think he is a great activist with a penchant for pushing important issues to the forefront. but not a good administrative politician when it comes to navigating different terrain outside his wheelhouse and developing an allied coalition that leads to sustained success for the *entire* team (no matter how incremental).

go big or go home doesnt really work as a legislative agenda (outside of immediately following a disaster when theres an overwhelming appetite for self-correction). i think he is misreading the broader electorate here in terms of them voting for big bold radical (uncertain) change right now. at least in perceived spite of political/social stability. we have only taken substantial progressive leaps in modern history after the great depression/recession. when it became absolutely undeniable that the current system had utterly failed.

but even if he won...none of his big ticket items have *any* chance of passing given our current political landscape (repub obstruction with no electoral consequence, filibuster, etc) which would make him a failure by his own measure. barack obama needed a virtual senate supermajority to get his major items passed and his true legislative agenda was basically dead after *2* years when repubs gained the house. a dem president with *no* signature legislation in their 1st term is a sitting duck for re-election (as are his/her party members).

and he basically wants to reconstitute the democratic party back into a coalition heavily favored by the 'white working class' but that ship sailed a long time ago. and his non-recognition of that is a glaring blind spot. while republicans disproportionately/increasingly rely on white non college educated (largely male) voters (the voting bloc dwindling/dying off the fastest but who bernie has the most romance for)...dems are growing their coalition among non whites, women, college educated whites, and suburbs in general...the groups that are actually in areas gaining population and enlarging their electoral potential. any national dem party leader (which the nom/prez is) not leaning into those emerging groups is committing grave political malpractice.

---

biden is just a flat out shitty retail politician/candidate. not much appeal to me on a personal level. but hes a standard bearer (not to be confused with standard-bearer) of the general/generic democratic party platform...which is enough for me right now until we get trump out of the whitehouse and hopefully scrape away enough power from repubs at the state level to institute pro-voter reforms to our democracy that make it harder for them to cheat and gain/retain power.

hes got enough of that working class (white male) identity to appeal to the rust belt while being palatable or even preferable in those blue trending suburbs in potential dem pickups like az, ga, tx, etc.

just by the numbers...any dem prez candidate polling well with the majority of black voters and *30+%* of repubs is a damn unicorn in the current era (https://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/99l8uafipkucdgbrwo95vw.png).

regardless of what people tell themselves in their social media echo chambers...the votes are in the center. the midterms told us this. off year elections in va, ky, la, etc told us this. moderates just flat out have the best chance to form a broad coalition and win elections in the competitive territory you need to gain political majorities.

if hes the best we got to retain that core obama/clinton coalition and continue to cement dem party gains in the suburbs (a gradual realignment that i fear bernie would fumble or even reverse)...then so be it.

---

sidenote: people can clown...but i wish there was a top candidate more like beto. cuz he was inspirational as a speaker (something dem voters require/respond to and something the other candidates are noticeably lacking). and he knew how to present himself as a moderate while he was personally (and i think would stealthily govern as) further left. the stuff he was saying and pushing for towards the end of his campaign pretty much confirmed this.