Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLocal/Regional Fast Food Spots
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13362581
13362581, Local/Regional Fast Food Spots
Posted by mista k5, Thu Jan-16-20 06:40 PM
which are the best in your city/region. the more local the better. meaning no whataburger, in n out or white castle. im thinking places limited to a city or cluster of cities...mostly. maybe a single state or two..three.

there are three here that come to mind
Blakes Lotaburger
this is a new mexico burger joint and its pretty good. gotta get the green chile burger. used to have to drive at least 40 minutes to get one but over the last 5/10 years we got some in my city. looks like its in arizona now too.

Tacotote
man, this place is good. a bit over priced but ive never been disappointed. i feel bad when we take visitors here for "real" mexican food but uh its so good lol. this is all sorts of tacos and quesadillas. this place started across the border but has been in my city for a good minute. looks like pretty recently it expanded to some other locations in texas and arizona as well as some cities in mexico. i cant vouch for any spots outside my city but i would recommend it if youre ever in the 915.

Don Carbon
man this is my favorite of the three. its mesquite grilled chicken. its so good. its only in my city but has multiple locations. they finally opened one near me last week. im gonna get my NORE on.
13362584, Illegal Pete's (CO)
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Jan-16-20 07:00 PM
Burrito joint. Though Petes and Chipotle both started around the same time in the Denver area, Petes has remained local (except a couple locations in AZ) and shits on Chipotle in every way.

Notable: They mix every burritos ingredients before they wrap it up. Their carnitas is made with a dash of Mexican coke and the fish burrito is fire.
13362635, man i need to find another concert up there this year and try it lol
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-17-20 10:21 AM
13362587, Alberto's (CA)
Posted by infin8, Thu Jan-16-20 07:33 PM
Mexican food.

for those who'd say 'it ain't all that'

why are there Albert's and Albertito's out there trademark infringing? Alberto's must be doing something right.

Carnitas Burrito/no beans, sour cream and guac on tha side.
13362590, oh hell yeah..carne asada burrito please
Posted by rdhull, Thu Jan-16-20 08:29 PM
>Mexican food.
>
>
>for those who'd say 'it ain't all that'
>
>why are there Albert's and Albertito's out there trademark
>infringing? Alberto's must be doing something right.
>
>Carnitas Burrito/no beans, sour cream and guac on tha side.
>
13362608, Alberto's is a copy of Roberto's
Posted by handle, Fri Jan-17-20 12:30 AM
Roberto's started in San Diego in 1964.

Albertos, Filibertos, ALiberto's, Jilberto's, etc are jsut copies!
13362657, thank him for his service
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jan-17-20 11:52 AM
>Roberto's started in San Diego in 1964.
>
>
>Albertos, Filibertos, ALiberto's, Jilberto's, etc are jsut
>copies!
>
13362713, Whenever I got to Taco Fiesta...
Posted by handle, Fri Jan-17-20 02:14 PM
I pour some red sauce out for Roberto.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/taco-fiesta-san-diego

13362591, Viva chicken
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jan-16-20 08:32 PM
Peruvian chicken in Charlotte. Not sure if it qualifies as fast food since they don’t have a drive thru. Orders take about 10 minutes at lunch. Flames

13362613, RE: Viva chicken
Posted by VerbalK420, Fri Jan-17-20 03:03 AM
This place also exists in St. George, Utah of all places. Flames, for sure.
13362618, Yeah. Weird how they expanded from Charlotte to... Utah
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-17-20 08:43 AM
They are fairly new, started in 2015 so I expect franchises to start popping up in SC and ATL or VA.

Someone must have been to Charlotte on a business trip and quit their job to open one up.
13362601, Go Chicken Go! (KC)
Posted by SuiteLady, Thu Jan-16-20 09:35 PM
I love Go Chicken Go in Kansas City. And Gates, but I am not sure if that fits the fast food category.

I hate all the regional chains in St. Louis! IMO's pizza is the worst shit ever! I cannot understand why anyone likes that pizza. I don't like gooey butter cake, don't want no fried ravioli's, and fuck Ted Drews (truly!).

What you like when it comes to these regional chains really is determined by where you grew up. What you grew up eating. I guess you can tell which one of those cities I grew up in ...

I lived in LA for 7 years and In and Out is okay, but I preferred Astro Buger on La Brea. But I LOVED El Pollo Loco!!! Love it still. When I get off the plane in LA I want some. Hated Del Taco.
13362605, &Pizza
Posted by mind_grapes, Thu Jan-16-20 10:41 PM
not sure if this has expanded outside of the dmv, but it's like a chipotle for pizzas
13362683, we have them in Philly
Posted by makaveli, Fri Jan-17-20 12:42 PM
not bad.
13362615, Astro Burger (LA)
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Jan-17-20 04:40 AM
San Biagio's Pizza
13362646, TAMS(LA)
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Jan-17-20 10:56 AM
13362649, Dick's Drive In. Only exists at 7 locations in the Greater Seattle area.
Posted by PROMO, Fri Jan-17-20 11:12 AM
Old fashion drive-in. You have to park and get out of your car and come up to the window to order.

Best old fashion milkshakes. Best burgers in the area too. Order just a cheeseburger which are fantastic, or their best burger, the Dick's Deluxe.

One cool thing about them is that they are super about their employees. You'd think it's just a fast food job for kids, and it can be that, but they were the first company I can remember in the area that paid $15 an hour to start and they offer scholarships for higher education to their staff, etc.
13362668, Does Tommy's count? (LA)
Posted by ABC_Style, Fri Jan-17-20 12:13 PM
You gotta be drunk as fuck to enjoy Tommy's and to silence the voice in your head that's saying "you are going to regret this shit in the morning" lol

On a similar tip and even more local... Cupid's Hot Dogs in the SFV. CSUN students know.
13362672, The Hat (San Gabriel Valley)
Posted by ABC_Style, Fri Jan-17-20 12:17 PM
Super bomb pastrami sandwiches. I don't make it out to the 626 often, but when I do, I try going here.
13362766, ^ The Hat and Zankou were my examples for southern California.
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Jan-17-20 05:03 PM
13362680, come to my city, gon need consent (c) whoisconway...
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Jan-17-20 12:36 PM
the Anchor Bar for wings

we eat chicken wings not Buffalo wings
we use bleu cheese not ranch
they’re sneakers, not tennis shoes
it’s a sucker not a lollipop & pop not soda
we experienced wide right, the forward lateral, no goal and four Super Bowls

yeah....

13362681, :)
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-17-20 12:40 PM
>four Super Bowls
13362697, Wawa
Posted by sectachrome86, Fri Jan-17-20 01:10 PM
If you know you know
13362753, The Taco Bus (Tampa)
Posted by Marbles, Fri Jan-17-20 04:11 PM
https://taco-bus.com/

There are better taco spots in town. And people are grossed out & trip on the fact that one of their kitchens is literally a converted school bus. But the Bus has good food. And they stay open late too.

I think they had maybe 4-5 locations when we moved here & now I think they're close to 15. I haven't seen the episode but they've been on "Diners, Drive Thrus & Dives."
13362765, Toronto spots:
Posted by wrecknoble, Fri Jan-17-20 04:57 PM
Bitondo's Pizza - best panzarotti you'll ever eat, get it with extra sauce on the side

Burger's Priest - self-explanatory. burgers made from fresh ground chuck daily.

California Sandwiches - massive Italian sandwiches (veal parm, chicken parm, eggplant parm, etc)

ACR Hot Doubles & Roti - Trini spot in the east end of the city, best doubles I've ever had. unless you can handle extreme levels of spice, stick to the mild. medium spicy = very spicy. and extra spicy = death.