Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAkai just bitch slapped the used MPC market: New MPC for 699
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13362434
13362434, Akai just bitch slapped the used MPC market: New MPC for 699
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-20 10:25 PM
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/15/21067517/akai-mpc-one-cheaper-smaller-music-production-center-namm-2020

Yes, we can nitpick the lack of certain features, the smaller form factor, and smaller pads.

But by and large, this shit looks like a home run to me. It strikes a fine balance of standalone and computer based production ethos.

I've seen a few videos already, trashing it for being a cut down Live, but it looks much more like a significantly souped up Touch.

I'm betting this turns out to be a killer app, because it nicely bridges that gap between top of the entry level and lower tier of higher end gear.

13362435, think this a good starter piece or would yall rec something else
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jan-15-20 10:31 PM
13362439, Depends. For who, and is money an object?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jan-15-20 11:28 PM
It's positioned as an entry level product, but it's functionally identical to the Live and X, particularly once you factor the software side of things. It's missing certain hardware elements that are now much more of a bonus than a necessity. Less outputs, smaller hard drive, etc.

The lack of RCA inputs is an issue if you're using turntables.

The fact that you get full standalone functionality in addition to the expanded functionality of a decent DAW makes it a great buy IMO.

But gear is a funny thing, because few things are all things for all people. These are instruments, and certain instruments will speak to your language in ways others don't, even if they more or less do the same things.

You also need to research current limitations, bugs, etc, because everything has some issues or drawbacks.

13362488, mainly just my recreational use
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jan-16-20 11:38 AM
trying to pick up some more creative hobbies in 2020 and i did enjoy making beats back in college so i just want to give it a whirl again.

im absolutely an amateur so i'd probably be messing around in FL Studio to start with. not even sure where to begin w/ equipment. we used to do everything on an iMac back in college.
13362600, if money isn't an object, l say get it.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-20 09:31 PM
Since this is more recreational, I'd say that the tactile experience of a legit hardware sampler/sequencer will give you more immediate gratification than clicking away in a DAW.

At a minimum, you'll still want a solid midi pad or keyboard controller.

The MPK minis are very popular, so that plus pretty much any DAW will suffice.

If budget isn't a big deal, there are a handful if options to consider, depending on what your willing to spend, many within this range.
13362443, The only major downside I see is no HD space.
Posted by Nopayne, Thu Jan-16-20 12:33 AM
Seems like an SD card or external disk will be needed down the road.

That said I'd definitely buy this over my Live if I had the choice a few years ago.
13362602, if you're just getting into it
Posted by hardware, Thu Jan-16-20 09:59 PM
if you're sampling just get a SP-404a (or a PO-33 if you wanna be cheap. its not bad for the money.)

If you want something with a screen, maybe a Maschine Mikro or the MPC Live
13362437, I’m still content with Maschine.
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed Jan-15-20 10:56 PM
Although, when I expand my living situation, I think I want an old school MPC or an ASR. I’m sure they get the job done, but these new MPC’s with all the colors look like toys.

I had an MPC2500 that I barely used which felt like sleeping in a garage with a new car you don’t drive.
13362722, ASRs are dope, but make sure it has SCSI if you grab one
Posted by flipnile, Fri Jan-17-20 02:35 PM
Whether the ASR 10 (keys) or the ASR X/Pro (sampler).

The alternative is the floppy drive, which is a major PITA nowadays. The drive on my ASR-X doesn't work, nor do the box of floppies I bought so I have to resample everything every time I turn the unit on. I just use it as an effects module now because of this (I have the X, which has some nice 90s on-board effects).

With SCSI, you could plug up a hard drive.
13362807, RE: ASRs are dope, but make sure it has SCSI if you grab one
Posted by JFrost1117, Sat Jan-18-20 02:25 PM
I'm familiar, from working with Lil' Jon. He had the SCSI Zip drive for his 3000.
13362455, I think it makes a nice companion piece to the legacy mpc's
Posted by Ascension, Thu Jan-16-20 09:36 AM
Longtime MPC3K owner here and I've been looking for another MPC which has the ability to import samples easier.

Instagram: ascensionmusic
13362458, Still rocking my 1k. Barely use it anymore tho
Posted by flipnile, Thu Jan-16-20 09:38 AM
Just for drums.
13362459, I mean....
Posted by double 0, Thu Jan-16-20 09:48 AM
It serves such a small market..

If I am gonna get an mpc I still want a 60, 60ii or 3k

Older ones are also just sexier tbh

But between push and maschine or even an akai controller and a daw it feels like a step backwards

Maschine is just so good at the integration

Also everytime I collab with someone with a new MPC it becomes so difficult to trade files
13362508, RE: I mean....
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Jan-16-20 12:17 PM
Reminds me of the MV-8000. I was engineering a session and that shit took forever to sync.
13362511, sound vs. ease of use
Posted by liveguy, Thu Jan-16-20 12:22 PM
they both have pluses and minuses.
13362460, Holy shit we still making beats in 2020 i see
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Jan-16-20 09:51 AM
I have had my MPC 2000 inactive for years and years.

More recently have strongly rekindled my decades long vinyl collecting habit and my boy I used to make music with is like 'how are you not making beats with these?!'

To me the collecting thing appears to be a separate part of the brain or something and I'm content with amassing without using to generate any output.

In the future, I do have a goal of putting mixes online that nobody will listen to but that's neither here nor there yet.
13362525, I kind of want to do the opposite
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Jan-16-20 01:33 PM
I miss making beats but I'm good on hoarding records. The amount I spent and the space they took up...not interested anymore. I kind of want to just buy a stack of dollar bin records at a time to sample and trade them in for the next stack.
13362540, Huh i feel you. Part of my new hoarding has also been getting
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Jan-16-20 02:07 PM
rid of dollar bin joints from the old beatmaking days.

I'm about to up my shelving unit since I'm at a place now where I'm not replacing old garbage with new pieces, so it's genuinely growing from now on, but if I was to start taking up a home studio my wife would trip lol

As far as beat making beats though yeah, that sounds like a good way to save space and keep things interesting
13362595, RE: Holy shit we still making beats in 2020 i see
Posted by double 0, Thu Jan-16-20 08:52 PM
Of course....

But what is the point of this new one?

It cant sound/feel better than the 90s joints

Cant be easier than a computer daw
13362597, agreed. add to that, what's the point of a Toyota Yaris?
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-20 09:22 PM
It doesn't get better mileage than a Prius.
It doesn't have much room as a Sequoia.

And what's the point of these base model cars?

Those old stereo systems aren't as nice as the touch screens, and GPS systems are more convenient than systems that don't have GPS. Those stock systems aren't as nice a higher end BOSS system.

So why are they selling those base model cars?

I wear a size 11 shoe. What's the point of a size 8? It doesn't fit me.

I'm right there with you on this. I'm the only person that exists, or at least the only one that matters, and because of that, I'm completely mystified when companies create and sell products that aren't tailored to my specific needs, preferences and desires.

What's the point of something if I'm not the target market?
13362599, Grooveboxes are popular now
Posted by hardware, Thu Jan-16-20 09:26 PM
and the OP-1 is too expensive

A lot of people are looking for that all in one box they can take anywhere, come back to the studio and dump the tracks into the daw and finish. People also want the tactile feel of knobs and pads that you can play like an instrument, get some muscle memory, play with other people, etc. Stuff you can't really do in a daw.

Circuit, Digitakt, OP-Z, the Live, this One, etc.
13362484, isnt it weird it can't take a SD card??
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu Jan-16-20 11:11 AM
...256 GB cards are cheap now ...4GB onboard storage is kinda doodoo

13362485, it takes SD for sure. There's an SD slot on the front of that joint!
Posted by liveguy, Thu Jan-16-20 11:19 AM
I already have a Live so I don't need it...

But I still want it..lol
13362521, no battery on the One...only the Live is the portable one.
Posted by liveguy, Thu Jan-16-20 01:10 PM
13362598, it lacks an internal power source, but its plenty portable.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-16-20 09:25 PM
I get your meaning though. You're not tapping out bangers at the beach with this, but you could setup shop at Starbucks without taking up half a table.
13362712, Since we're talking MPCs, anyone using the Splice plugin?
Posted by Nopayne, Fri Jan-17-20 02:13 PM
Seems kinda like cheating but I guess the world has moved on from record digging?
13362775, Splice is dope
Posted by hardware, Fri Jan-17-20 05:49 PM
crate digging is still a thing but the landscape is such that its easier to flip a royalty free sample than have the algorithm sniff out your sample that wasn't quite flipped enough.
13362717, I don't know how I stumbled into this producer thread but....
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Jan-17-20 02:30 PM
I heard this joint today and it made me wish I had a producer friend so I could tell them to flip this joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2jxqQVloM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13362837, Stopped using my MPC over 10 years ago. But...
Posted by cbk, Sun Jan-19-20 12:58 PM
...this looks interesting!