Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI was in the Black Eyed Peas. Then I quit. New York Times doc on Kim Hill
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13361691
13361691, I was in the Black Eyed Peas. Then I quit. New York Times doc on Kim Hill
Posted by Airbreed, Fri Jan-10-20 11:24 AM
The NYT did a mini-doc on Kim Hill, former vocalist and co-writer for the BEPs. Never thought anyone would've remembered her. Pretty interesting stuff. She goes into her upbringing in a single parent home in a white neighborhood and pretty much squashes the rumor that Will kicked her out of the group for the white girl.

Peruse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkSDNxM1w58
13361694, Pretty sure there was a post on this already.
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-10-20 11:42 AM
13361696, it was deleted then we discussed it in a confession post lol
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-10-20 11:50 AM
13361695, I made eye contact with her when the BEPs performed at my
Posted by Teknontheou, Fri Jan-10-20 11:47 AM
school in 1999.
13361969, RE: I was in the Black Eyed Peas. Then I quit. New York Times doc on Kim Hill
Posted by Original Juice, Tue Jan-14-20 04:18 AM
She was dope.

I remember she had a few features on Slim Kid Tre's first solo LP.
13362060, Good post
Posted by Selah, Tue Jan-14-20 01:58 PM
that's real yo

I dug it (the truth in it). Good looking out
13362075, so the Exec wanted the black girl to sexualize, yet when white girl
Posted by lsymone, Tue Jan-14-20 02:55 PM
joins the group i didnt notice Fergie being too sexual w/ the boys, granted i only went to one concert and she dance with them barely grind on any of them.
13362092, This was great. And she's right.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Jan-14-20 03:58 PM
That sort of was the last gasp of fun loving, light hip hop. That's exactly how I remember that time. You couldn't escape how dope the BEP live shows were back then - even the people who thought they were corny appreciated the live shows. That second album was a dud and it seemed like they had all the momentum...then they decided to tour with Timberlake and get featured as the Okayplayer artist of the month (REMEMBER THAT?) and it all changed.

Will seems like a dude who knows exactly what he's doing.
13362109, Damn. Glad she's doing well. But that's a crazy story.
Posted by Brew, Tue Jan-14-20 04:45 PM
I remember her vaguely from when I bought their first couple albums. Always wondered what had happened to her but assumed it was the machine. Never heard any rumor about Will kicking her out but not surprised that that false narrative came up.

That part at the 10 minute mark where they hit it big made my heart jump for Kim lol. Like *she* made the choice so it's not like she had any ill will but as she touched on, it still must've stung a little bit. Haha.

Good for her for having the bravery not to sell herself out to do things she wasn't comfortable with. And good on her for being so gracious about what came after. That's dope.