Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecti got two and did email both
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13360845&mesg_id=13364104
13364104, i got two and did email both
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-28-20 03:49 PM
got an automated email from cruz confirming they received my message. got one from cornyn too followed up by an actual response. i plan to respond back.

Dear OKP Hater:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the impeachment of President Donald Trump.

America has experienced hard-fought elections in the past, and our leaders have always found a way to come together and resolve our differences to address the issues facing our nation. Our Founding Fathers wisely developed a system of checks and balances to prevent an accumulation of excessive power in any single branch of government. I am committed to exercising appropriate congressional oversight to prevent abuses of power by any branch of government.

On August 12, 2019, a whistleblower filed a complaint with the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community regarding a July 25, 2019 telephone conversation between President Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. President Trump later released a memorandum that provided more information regarding the content of that call. On October 31, 2019, Democrats in the House of Representatives unilaterally passed a resolution (H. Res. 660) to approve a formal impeachment inquiry against President Trump for improperly inviting foreign interference in U.S. elections. Over the next few weeks, the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and the House Committee on the Judiciary conducted hearings and received testimony from numerous individuals relating to the Trump Administration’s activities in Ukraine. On December 18, 2019, Democrats in the House of Representatives advanced two articles of impeachment, one for abuse of power and one for obstruction of Congress, and voted to impeach President Trump on both counts on a purely partisan basis.

Historically, both political parties have participated in the impeachment process, and the House of Representatives has traditionally advanced articles of impeachment only on a broad bipartisan basis and after lengthy investigations that produced clear and compelling evidence of criminal misconduct. Federal courts have also played a role in resolving disputes between the executive and legislative branches. The American people expect Congress to exercise its oversight authority diligently, transparently, and cooperatively. However, I am concerned the House Democrats’ inquiry into President Trump was rushed, politically motivated, and not conducted in a reasonable and bipartisan manner.

The Senate is now exercising its important responsibility under the Constitution to conduct a trial to consider the articles of impeachment, and determine whether a duly elected president should be removed from office. Representatives from the House and President Trump’s attorneys are now arguing their case in front of the full Senate. Following opening arguments, senators will be able to submit written questions for the chief justice of the Supreme Court to read aloud to the Representatives from the House and President Trump’s attorneys. Following the questions, the Senate will then vote on whether to hear from additional witnesses or obtain additional evidence related to the charges. I will continue to keep an open mind and look forward to examining the record, considering the arguments from both sides, and deliberating with my colleagues before deciding whether the House has proven President Trump committed impeachable offenses, and therefore must be removed from office.

While we may not agree on every issue, I hope you will continue to contact me regarding matters of importance to you. I serve nearly 30 million Texans, regardless of political affiliation, and I pledge to consider your views during my work in the U.S. Senate. I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you, and I thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator