Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectokayplayeriest fragrances:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13359345&mesg_id=13359640
13359640, okayplayeriest fragrances:
Posted by poetx, Tue Dec-17-19 02:36 PM
i blend and mix all the fragrances, btw. my wife will tell me, generally, what she wants (we need 5 seasonals, and i want something like xyz), and then we'll look for different oils, get samples, i'll mix 'em on paper, and if something has promise we'll pour it and test it. between all the kids and their s/o's, we get a lot of feedback.

it's fun when we sell at events (craft and artisan shows, etc), to check out how different people react to the different scents.

playery:

Earthy (sandalwood is the base note. oak moss and a hint of amber round it out).

Teakwood and Linen (pretty self-explanatory blend of clean, fresh linen scent and teakwood). Earthy and Teakwood and Linen tend to be the go to scents for Black customers. which is hilarious, b/c that's my palate.

Opulence is new. this one is dope. we actually put it together as a proposed custom fragrance for an apartment complex in North Hills, Raleigh. it's a blend of fresh bamboo, exotic woods, and coconut. (the coconut is not obvious, though). very upscale. (the apartments went with Carolina, instead, to put into their new lease welcome packages). Carolina is good and unique, too, but just tends to be a bit more polarizing.

Dragon's Blood - top note is patchouli, with notes of wood and citrus. exotic. very polarizing, though. patchouli is one of those fragrances that people either run to or run from. it's always fun to watch ppls reactions. i've had two separate ladies tell me, deadass, "it smells like Asheville". (that's the hippie part of NC out in the western mountains).

Driftwood - base note is cedar with a very light vanilla on top. it doesn't conflict with anything. nice, low key background ambient scent.

Mandles: (our man candles -- women like these too, it's just that if there was a color wheel, this would be opposite anything floral)

Tuxedo and Whiskey - very spot on whiskey fragrance with some notes of amber, etc.

Teakwood & Linen (above).

arguably, Earthy and Dragon's Blood can fit into this.

I'll put Carolina here, although it's not necessarily masculine. it's pine, magnolia and a hint of tobacco. we created this a year ago, in the hope of crafting something quintessentially NC (we're both transplants but been here so long that it's home). none of these fragrances play well with others, as they tend to overpower blends, but i kept messing with it. it burns very sweet and mellow. the tobacco (a very small bit, mind you), can be a bit off putting on the cold throw (smell out of the jar), which makes this candle a bit polarizing, but it is a really nice and unique scent. it did well when we were in the food hall as a tourist memento.

Relaxation & Refreshing:

Spa Time - subtle, yet complex blend of blackberries, sage, cucumber and mint. puts you in mind of getting the spa treatment w/ the cucumbers on your eyes. really refreshing.

Peace of Mind - our top seller, perennially. this is the most chill. i have this going in the melter in the afternoons at work when ppl be getting on my nerves and it keeps me from punching ppl. true story.

Sweet Dreams - a Lavender and Fresh Linen combo. puts you in mind of a high end hotel where they spray lavender on the pillows. good for before going to bed at night. or just to unwind after a long day. sweet, clean and light.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad