Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject"The Passion of GH" and Gustav Landauer
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13359338&mesg_id=13359589
13359589, "The Passion of GH" and Gustav Landauer
Posted by Walleye, Tue Dec-17-19 09:34 AM
I stumbled (way too late, oops) on Clarice Lispector last year or the year before with Near to the Wild Heart of Life and loved it. But I think Passion of GH is actually better. It's weird and claustrophobic but also open and wild and clearly "free" in some other senses. Also, Lispector has clearly read a bunch of medieval women mystics, which appeals to a niche academic pursuit and makes me feel like I know a secret handshake that, like, two other people share.

Started reading Gustav Landauer this year in a collection that is uncreatively titled "Revolution and Other Writings". He's an eccentric, fragmentary thinker but unlike Bakunin, it's kind of fun. He also got deeply into medieval mystics, and his work is peppered with attempts to wrap his head around Meister Eckhart. In any event, I like reading political theory but sometimes have a hard time making it mean something small and personal and that seems to be the exact struggle that he found in his own career so reading the essays slowly unfold into and around that problem is sort of gratifying.