Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectmeanwhile: Lizzo is Time Magazines Artist Of The Year
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13358660&mesg_id=13359065
13359065, meanwhile: Lizzo is Time Magazines Artist Of The Year
Posted by rdhull, Wed Dec-11-19 05:58 PM
https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-lizzo-time-entertainer-year-2019-20191211-wpfozcwlzjeypl6alucewkukqe-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0MWrtiBLTCrBNWZK23e9hrILS6EkOZXKdDio5FlFcPqJCoN28hkQpBHzU

Lizzo is Time’s 2019 Entertainer of the Year
Kassidy Vavra
By KASSIDY VAVRA
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
DEC 11, 2019 | 11:27 AM

The DNA test results are in — and it turns out Lizzo is Time’s 2019 Entertainer of the Year.

The honor caps off a whirlwind year for the “Good as Hell” rapper since her debut album “Cuz I Love You” — released in April — soared to the top of the music charts and she dominated the 2020 Grammy nominations with a whopping eight.

“I’ve been doing positive music for a long-ass time,” she said. “Then the culture changed. There were a lot of things that weren’t popular but existed, like body positivity, which at first was a form of protest for fat bodies and black women and has now become a trendy, commercialized thing. Now I’ve seen it reach the mainstream. Suddenly I’m mainstream!”

“How could we have guessed something like this would happen when we’ve never seen anything like this before?” she added.

Her song “Truth Hurts” topped Billboard’s Hot 100 songs list for nearly two months, and broke a record for longest-running track in the top spot by a solo female rapper at six weeks.

“Truth Hurts is officially the longest solo female rap #1 in history. I fell in love with music when I was 9 years old...” she captioned a September Instagram photo that was edited to show her holding the Billboard Hot 100 list.

“If this lil Lizzo only knew all that she would accomplish when she picked up that flute, or wrote songs in her room, or forced her friends to make girlbands," she added at the time. “It’s just so humbling to know it was all worth it. Don’t run away from what your heart wants.”

inRead invented by Teads

ADVERTISEMENT
The artist is up for Grammys including Album of the Year for “Cuz I love You (Deluxe)."

Time also announced Greta Thunburg as its 2019 Person of the Year, along with the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team as 2019 Athlete of the Year, Disney CEO Robert Iger as 2019 Businessperson of the Year.

Kassidy Vavra
Kassidy Vavra
CONTACT

Kassidy Vavra is a national news reporter for the New York Daily News.

Copyright © 2019, New York Daily News