Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThere's no way to successfully remove him from office
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13357996&mesg_id=13359087
13359087, There's no way to successfully remove him from office
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-12-19 02:49 AM
The path is just not there, similar to how it wasn't there for Clinton.

What I inferred somewhat from his post above and what I certainly believe is that they need this to drag on for as long as possible. They shot their wad pretty quickly here and I don't see the rush. They've got the house majority through the next election. Stretch it out like Caramelo here. Call mad witnesses. Inundate them with allegations. The traction they got here was from people like Sondland and Hill getting allegations and critiques out there. Hill was sharper than the whole fucking house put together and Sonland was a character; he had real charisma.

There are enough bureaucrats, diplomats, military people and other people involved in some aspect of government that despise Trump's ass to fill the calendar chock full of testimony.

They seem eager to push this through like that is somehow advantageous. I don't understand what it serves them to try to force this upon the Senate when it's evident AF that they won't vote the same way. This is such an opportunity for negative press (which we know Trump is great at spinning, but still, his followers are pretty much locked in anyway). It also lets pressure mount for the many down-ballot races in 2020. Get the Senate vote or lack thereof as close to the election as possible. Weaponize that outcome instead of getting it out of the way.

Already the GOP has seized on the chance to turn the partisanship of these hearings--which is stark on both sides, let's be honest--into a favorable facet for them. On one hand, the GOP will defend any and all things Trump does, up until very ridiculous statements that amount to "well he didn't shout I AM COMMITTING EXORTION!" while allegedly committing extortion" and "well, you didn't see it with your own eyes so how do you know it happened?" But they have managed to largely portray themselves as the aggrieved party here and, to those who they actually can convince, it's worked. Meanwhile the Dems have been pushing impeachment from the start and the votes, investigations and so forth pile up to suggest that this is a "witch hunt," again to those who are prone to that suggestion. Now, even though I will acknowledge that there has been a press to remove Trump (when there should have been a press to counter his actions!), that is actually immaterial provided there were impeacable offenses committed here, which, in a sane world, there were.

All this blathering is to say I agree mostly, that the proceedings should have been comprehensive and lengthy. Don't nut so quick, get up in those guts, do some damage to the side walls. But the DNC is the party of premature ejaculation.