Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIDK. I give different advice depending whether we talking job vs. career.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13357721&mesg_id=13357871
13357871, IDK. I give different advice depending whether we talking job vs. career.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Dec-03-19 03:37 PM
A job is someplace you collect a paycheck and are not really interested in moving ahead and it's just a mean to pay your bills while there is some other thing that you devote your interest and time to (family, sidehustle, church, sport, etc.).

There your advice kind of makes sense.

However, I don't think it works for a career and by a career I mean a profession you are invested in and you want to move ahead, get promoted, get leadership, etc.

Like you can't go to HR every time something rubs you the wrong way and expect it not to impact your career. I know HR and our sense of fairness tells us that that shouldn't be the case but in the real world it is. If you are known as the fragile person then people just wouldn't want to work with you.

It sucks but I'm am waiting for someone to give better advice for moving ahead in your career than working harder, doing your best and making yourselves indispensible to the people you work for, whether you like them or not.

That being said, like folks said, if you feel you got to secretly record all your interactions with your boss that sounds like a bad environment for a career (or even a job) and you can't expect that place to help your career no matter how hard you work. It's time to move on.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"