Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectVenting: I Got Fired + Career Lessons
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13357721&mesg_id=13357721
13357721, Venting: I Got Fired + Career Lessons
Posted by BlakStaar, Tue Dec-03-19 12:48 AM
Yesterday (Monday) I got fired from what I hope to be my first and last job in a traditonal corporate work enviroment. I previously worked in news. I'll spare the intimate details, at least for now, because I'm TIRED but here are some lessons I learned at my previous employer. Some of these tips I was wise enough to follow from day one, others not so much.

THINGS I DID RIGHT
- Don't leave personal shit at your desk. If you must have a picture of family, friends or pets nearby, make sure it is not the sole and/or original copy. Make a duplicate. 

THINGS I DID BUT HALF-ASSEDLY:
- Audio record every meeting with HR and with your problematic boss. If not that, take detailed notes

- If you are having issues with management, keep a daily journal or spreadsheet and forward relevant emails to your personal address ASAP. Don't try to do this in a marathon every so often. Get in the habit of doing it on a regular basis as hit pops off. 

- Email your personal work contacts at least twice a year. People don't want to hear from you when you want something, e.g. a job because now you're out of work.

MISTAKES I MADE/THINGS I DID NOT DO:
- Report managerial abuse and related complaints to HR immediately. Even if they don't side with you, at least your issues are formally documented.

- If you have a micromanager or if you are presented with a punitive, unfair or unrealistic work plan or new list of responsibilities, follow instructions to a "T," if it is possible. Don't give shitty people fodder to use against you, even if their demands are ridiculous. 

I did not receive a reason for my firing but I know it was on a technicality related to this new work plan

---
Most of y'all are grown and have been working professional jobs for 15+ years.
What have you learned? What mistakes have you made? What smart things did you do that helped you down the road?