Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThere's a lot of context around the Harriet backlash u're ignoring willfully
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13354967&mesg_id=13355165
13355165, There's a lot of context around the Harriet backlash u're ignoring willfully
Posted by kevlar skully, Thu Nov-07-19 09:47 PM

Movies like Us, Get Out, Black Panther, BlackKKKlansman etc do really well

in general, black audiences have been over movies focused on chattel slavery, especially when the star hates black Americans and the movie has anything that can be considered a white savior. From what I've read about the film, they have seemingly gone out of their way to earn the opposite of a positive "Get Out" like buzz.

So I don't know why you're acting like 'it's hard for big studios to make black films for wide audiences' because one slave movie with a star that is anti-black American has poor social media buzz? The fuck do you expect: for black Americans to just eat up anything uncritically just because? That's insulting, but do you.

Harriet wouldn't have done any better 5 years ago, seriously. I don't know why any black person would cape for that movie besides generally being a contradictory smart dummy.