Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI hear you. I think, for me, I fall in the camp that neither extreme is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13354908&mesg_id=13355082
13355082, I hear you. I think, for me, I fall in the camp that neither extreme is
Posted by kfine, Thu Nov-07-19 04:23 PM
ideal lol

>
>But this idea that corporations are naturally more efficient
>is completely fucking laughable to me and has been for some
>time.
>
>How many of us are at our private sector jobs as we type this
>shit?
>

There may be some at a public sector job too :)

>My point isn't to blindly trust government. My point is to
>not blindly trust corporations/the wealthy- especially when
>you consider on top of the waste/inefficiency/corruption/etc
>that happens in the private sector, they also have to turn a
>profit.
>

I understand. For me, I think nobody likes the trouble caused when governments fail to intervene (at the VERY least by effectively regulating) and the private sector runs amok. But at the same time, there are countless examples of poorly/inefficiently/fraudulently run government services, programs, sectors (or even whole economies) too so..

I don't know. I think in the case of Gates and a handful of other major philanthropists in the billionaire class (eg. Oprah)... they do actually target some areas where governmnets have failed and facilitate good outcomes. And, as a practice, in some cases public-private partnership can even produce better outcomes than either side could have achieved alone.

Does that mean PPPs are a perfect fit for every sector or every problem??? Not sure, I'm not a development expert lol. But I personally believe the private sector can be a decent partner if governments don't completely abdicate their role to keep them in check... especially when operating in really sensitive domains like healthcare, education, etc. *shrug*

Perhaps I'm a little idealistic too lol