Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think so too re:convention. But re:vp pick...is that just "DemThink"??
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13354635&mesg_id=13360269
13360269, I think so too re:convention. But re:vp pick...is that just "DemThink"??
Posted by kfine, Sun Dec-22-19 02:58 PM
>i cant even think of a unity ticket off hand with a
>'progressive' vp thats black (which i think we absolutely need
>this time around).

^This idea that 'race' is the only way to diversify, I mean.

It just seems like minority voters haven't been all that animated by representation, you know?

Like, look at the candidates who black demographics have been lining up behind... Biden with older black people, the whole Marianne Williamson-ADOS thing, and Bernie... who has the most racially diverse coalition despite it being mostly millenials/gen z (plus there's the stat about him leading the field in latin american support). These dynamics have played out in THE most diverse field of Democratic candidates in US history, right? In fact I think Yang might be the only minority candidate who really resonated with his own demographic (there's some poll crosstabs out there somewhere supporting this, I'm too lazy rn lol).

So ya. Is 'representation' all that compelling in post-Obama Dem politics?? Or did it disillusion folks? I mean I just made up the word DemThink but it's what comes to mind when I think of how HRC made her horrible, horrible, wtf-is-that-guy vp pick stating few other reasons than to appeal to white men (and it didn't help her at all). I'm not saying I don't think a diverse ticket would be a good thing.. just wondering whether the nominee might be better served to consider other ways to diversify too.. like with gender, ideology, age, etc.

But either way, I really think/hope the vp pick is someone who brings an established base with them and, preferrably, is one of the current frontrunners. Like omg after such a long and competitive primary? People have contributed tens of millions to some of these people running, invested time and energy, etc. The smartest thing to do would be to harness energy from multiple camps, imho.

ESPECIALLY if the dems don't end up with a nominee until their convention. I mean its crazy how that would literally leave them only a few months until the GE. Better a running mate who's also been out there campaigning, coalition-building, and fundraising up to that point, I think. Bc the two of them are gonna have to rapidly multiply support and hit the pavement mad hard to win this thing. The bigger and more compatible/harmonious that base is with the general electorate the better.