Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectmeh I don't think the panic is necessary
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13354635&mesg_id=13359253
13359253, meh I don't think the panic is necessary
Posted by Stadiq, Fri Dec-13-19 01:37 PM
>the labor (left) party in australia suffered a historical
>upset (led *every* poll since 2016 and lost) while running on
>a campaign extremely similar to the 'progressive' agenda
>here.

Corbyn makes Bernie look moderate number one.

Number two, the metldown I am seeing is amusing because very few people used the *US* elections last month this much to forecast trouble for the GOP to this level.

VA turning blue? media= "oh, cool but how can Dems keep it going? They better be careful!"

UK results? media= "democrats are fucked!! Is it too late to convince Romney to run as a Dem?"

I do think we all need to be very wary of polls- yes polls that show Bernie beating Trump, but also polls showing Biden beating Trump.

>
>https://www.vox.com/2019/5/18/18630483/australia-federal-election-2019-scott-morrison-coalition-bill-shorten-labor
>
>similar results await us if bernie sanders is the nominee.

Again, I don't think we use results in different countries with completely different political systems to freak out.

I have underestimated Bernie's campaign, as have you.

I don't know if nominating him is the smartest move necessarily, but I don't think its the apocalypse if it happens.

I think if he keeps leaning into this FDR democrat thing it will help. And a VP who will ease some fears (not sure who that is...Kamala? someone from the midwest like Baldwin? )

>
>american history has been crystal clear about what happens to
>prez candidates who run too far left of the (majority older
>white center right) electorate.

Yeah man the problem with this line of thinking is no one can pinpoint what "too far left" even means.

Instead, it is used as reasoning to nominate/vote/support the centrist candidate.

Anything to the left of the preferred candidate is suddenly "too far left"

>
>even biden (as well as clinton) is running even further left
>than obama (especially on immigration). that comes with its
>set of risks in crucial rust belts states and nc, fl, etc.

This is more dem party panic thinking.

The entire country has moved to the left of Obama on a lot of issues, like immigration and gay marriage.

'08 Obama is actually a decent look at what a Bernie nom could look like to me.

I know certain folks want to revise what Obama presented himself as, but dude was promising to walk picket lines with folks. Talked trade reform. Etc.

He was far more progressive than Hillary, and far more left than McCain was to the right.

McCain was the moderate, the bipartisan "maverick"

Rewind 4 years. Dems nominated a "safe" moderate candidate and got their asses fucking kicked.

The sky isn't falling in the US because the UK just *might* be more fucked up than we are.

Only lesson here is to not trust polls.