Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecta couple of things
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13354635&mesg_id=13359243
13359243, a couple of things
Posted by mista k5, Fri Dec-13-19 01:19 PM
where are you getting 20%? ive said before i would be willing to pay around 8% towards health care if it meant everyone gets these improved benefits. why do you say it would end up being 20%? based on the pricing/funding studies i really think it would be around 6%. thats an increase for me because i dont actually use the coverage. for most people it would be a decrease in what theyre spending on health care now. they would get a lot more though.

if you look at the total cost of health care, individual people and america as a whole would spend less and get more. will some individuals spend more? yes. warren would make only the super wealthy pay more. bernie would make the well off and above pay more.

im slightly above median income, i have a ton of debt. i could afford to pay for health care. im sure some families around the same income would not. anyone that actually needs to use health care would end up spending less under medicare for all than any public option or current system. people that dont need it might spend more but it would not be an unreasonable amount.

ive been thinking of why petes attack has bothered me. is it at all something other than "hey your not being nice to my currently preferred candidate"????? yes. we know when the general election comes trump will not give any details on what he wants to do. he will say the dem candidate wants to take away your benefits, tax you more, turn us into venezuela. what benefit is there to lock yourself into specific details on how to pay for the policy now? very little if any, that was petes argument when i first started paying attention him. he wasnt going to lock himself down to anything. it made sense. why is he then trying to push other dem candidates to lock themselves into details now? because he knows it will give him and others ammunition to attack them on. in my view, unfairly. these details should be worked out once the policy is actually being voted on. laying them out now just puts you in a position to be attached. right now and if you have to make concessions once the policy is being put in place.

thats why i didnt like how he kept pushing. its clear that facts and details dont matter in our elections. warren should have recognized that. oh well. best case she learns from this and is able to hit back better and be ready when trump tries the same. worst case, shes out and were looking at bernie vs whoever survives the "electability" contest and wins the fundraisers backing.

how is the public option going to be defended vs trump? how do you think trump will attack it?