Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThere's only estimates of less spending if comparing NHE. Not Federal.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13354635&mesg_id=13357441
13357441, There's only estimates of less spending if comparing NHE. Not Federal.
Posted by kfine, Tue Nov-26-19 06:37 PM

Excerpt from your link about the Mercatus/Blahous study:

"Mercatus is projecting a $32 trillion increase in federal spending, above current projected government expenditures, from 2022 to 2031.

In terms of overall health care spending in the United States over the same period, however, they are actually projecting a slight reduction."

"Overall health care spending" = NHE, in this context. And has nothing to do with the necessary increase in Federal Spending. Basically, by killing the private insurance industry the gov would have to take over much of the stuff they used to pay for, among other things.

ANYWAY let's be done with that topic, there's links galore.

>
>They might not have a guarantee that 4% will be iron clad
>forever or that the wealth tax portion might be slightly
>insufficient in 2035 but to me the big picture is so much more
>important than the wonkery of it.

This is such irresponsible politics tho. Look. There's a reason humane politicians worry about hiking (current or future) taxes on the lower and middle class. There's a reason why reckless spending, just printing mad money, or whatever else the MMT folks keep advising aren't popular in other (not-failed) states. YES things like taxes and inflation matter, are you kidding me?

It may be too wonky for you but it's real life. Healthcare is important but so is feeding ones family. Do you know there's some places in the world where the average annual income is like a few hundred USD a year and a bag of rice costs like 1/3 of that? Places where people can't even afford to buy bread or milk bc of how expensive they are or how weak their currency is? Failed policies are a big deal and running a country is not the kind of thing you just "wing". America's size only makes it even more important that the folks in charge know wtf their doing. Look at how the subprime mortgage and banking crises caused a recession GLOBALLY.

And the thing is I'm not even against the OUTCOME of universal coverage. Just the method yall want to use to achieve it. There are several other proposals out there, yall need to get over it. And perhaps I could come around to your method, but even asking about suuuuper BASIC safeguards or post-implementation assurances is like OMG CIVIL WAR WITH THE OLIGARCHS GREEDY CLASS TRAITOR blah blah blah. I feel less and less confidence that yall are ready to govern.

If there is a will there is
>a way, we will figure those things out, do you get into the
>minutiae of military spending where every dime and nickel has
>to be accounted for before we start a war? I seriously doubt
>it.

Ok well, ambiguous numbers and no game plans don't exactly give me confidence in your guy's leadership or responsible stewardship of my taxpayer dollars. And just because Repubs have abandoned any sense of fiscal responsibility doesn't mean Dems need to run the country that way.

It just comes down to the fact that it's the
>right thing to do at the end of the day and even if it costs a
>little more (which is debatable) it is worth it. I prefer to
>help someone in need while they are suffering and not stand
>over them crossing the t's and dotting the i's on some
>technocratic form before my empathy is allowed to kick in.
>For the Bernie movement whether we need M4A or not is no
>longer debatable.

Then do it right now! Hand over all your paychecks to enroll and pay the healthcare premiums of the first uninsured person you see from today onwards. Oh.. what's that? You need to pay your bills, buy groceries, support your family and pay for shelter? You want to donate a bit less but still help out any way you can? YOU ARE SO SELFISH FOR HAVING A BUDGET AND WHATNOT.