Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: question for Bernie supporters...this Politico article on Obama
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13354635&mesg_id=13357366
13357366, RE: question for Bernie supporters...this Politico article on Obama
Posted by reaction, Tue Nov-26-19 01:31 PM
>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2019/11/26/barack-obama-2020-democrats-candidates-biden-073025
>
>
>Do you really think he can win the nom? (Article alludes to
>Obama floating the idea of doing his part to stop Bernie,
>which is a whole other conversation if true)

In regards to that article I believe it since there were also articles in 2016 about how Obama worked behind the scenes to stop Bernie then and also to stop his influence by inserting Tom Perez into DNC chair over Bernie surrogate Keith Ellison.

>That said, even if he can get the votes, it seems to me there
>are a lot of powerful people who don't want that to happen.
>So when you start talking about the delegate game, potential
>spoiler candidates (I'm convinced Deval Patrick is only there
>to muddy the waters at this point), a brokered convention, and
>Bloomberg basically laying the ground work for a 3rd party run
>(to spook the party to not going too far left)...
>
>How likely do you really think it is that Bernie wins the nom?

I am getting more confident. In the last few weeks there are polls with Bernie in the lead in NH and Iowa and he is back in second in the RCP average. I'm seeing a lot of people in various places start to take him more seriously. Just today I saw a post where someone said Bloomberg jumping in was the final straw and now they were with Bernie to finally fight off this menace of billionaire influence.

In regards to the 50.1 percent and the convention I might be naive but I think whoever takes a plurality in the primaries will get the nom just because the alternative is so unthinkable. If super delegates take it away from Bernie I could imagine a repeat of 1968 and violence and social unrest.