Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecta few things
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13354635&mesg_id=13357193
13357193, a few things
Posted by mista k5, Mon Nov-25-19 10:29 AM
my premium is currently around 5%.

is it good coverage? i would say no. thats why i skipped it this year. is it good compared to what other people are offered??? i have no idea, i really hope not. if my coverage is the "good" coverage that is available now then things are worse than i thought.

ive been lucky to not REALLY need to see a doctor this year. my calculation was that i would spend less paying out of my own pocked without insurance than if i got insurance and had to actually use it. it worked out this year but i know its a stupid gamble.

i think (would love some more details) petes plan would help 50% of the uninsured. the ones over 200% the poverty line i dont really see how it would help them. if i can see what benefits these people would get, how much they would pay then i could be sure one way or the other.

my fear with his public option is that people would be covered only by name. they wouldnt be able to afford to actually use their coverage. nothing i have read about the plan has taken that fear away. insurance and health care would still be too expensive for most people.

im trying to step back and think of what needs to change the most instead of going full single payer. or full single payer where everyone except the wealthy gets "free" health care.

i would say people below 200% percent of the poverty line should have free coverge, no premium, no deductible, no co-pays. i would even say a lot of help with prescriptions. this is any age. does the public option do this?

second, the MOOP needs to be reduced greatly for everyone else. people should not go bankrupt due to an illness. this could be based on income for anyone over 200% of the poverty line. anyone between 200% - 400% should pay a small premium and thats it. anyone over 400% can pay a premium and have a reasonable MOOP.

there also needs to be an adjustment to how the MOOP is applied. if you suffer an injury or illness in nov/dec and max out the MOOP it should not reset in january. at least not for care of the same injury/illness.

lastly, i do think everyone needs to have coverage available to them that meets the above regardless of what their employer offers.

from what i have read the public options lack in giving adequate coverage to people. the single payer options maybe go a bit too far in helping people who can afford to pay for their coverage. i think some tweaks to the single payer options would be the bet route.

its true that people fighting single payer have been successful in scaring people so far. i dont know if that can be fixed in this election cycle.