Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectPleasure debating with you fam
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13353927&mesg_id=13354454
13354454, Pleasure debating with you fam
Posted by auragin_boi, Fri Nov-01-19 09:04 AM
>lol I do that and will continue to do so, thanks.

Kudos fam and I respect that. But I said that to point to the fact that criticism of Megan directly (when you yourself later admit is a symptom, not the cause) isn't how this should be done. This was Dr. Carr's (passive-aggressive) approach and then you drove this down in your OP:

"she will have the stigma of college stripper attached to her public persona for the rest of her career, the same way male commercial rappers in the late 90s and 00s were seen as glorified drug dealers, murderers, pimps and thugs."

This assumes...

1) Black People can't just 'entertain' without it being a direct reflection of who they are.

2) That Megan was ever a stripper (she wasn't).

3) Black rappers can't and don't grow. When to the contrary, Ice Cube, Snoop, Jay-Z, Nas, Scarface...all OG's who've grown over the course of their careers and represent very different things than when they started...and others have set various examples of black rappers growing beyond those stigmas.

>>I take offense to what you are ascribing to 'our culture' as
>>if we cornered the market on degradation, sexualization and
>>capitalism.
>
>Words I never said

Were these not your words?

"If a rapper's modicum of success is based on the tried and true method of promoting the most degrading elements of our culture and adopting them as some sort of badge of honor then yes, they will be scrutinized."

While not a direct quote, based on the 'college stripper' assumption made and the slant to 'degrading elements', I deduced sexualization and capitalism were the basis for your position.

>-No, I'm saying that these things are being presented in white
>mainstream media as exclusive to our culture. It is clearly
>not exclusive when you are within the culture, however, most
>of these white media executives and the audiences that follow
>them live in highly segregated communities and couldn't
>separate megan from rapsody if they were working in the
>cubicle right next to them.

If you ever perused country music, you'd hear a lot about heavy drinking, guns, women and small town rural living. I'm sure the artist and executives that promote these artist don't all live that lifestyle but they recognize it as a money maker. As they do with 'trap' hiphop. Ultimately, what sells is the capitalists agenda.

No one put a gun to anyone's head and said 'shake your a** and rap about money' or 'talk about selling drugs and shooting ops'. And no one put a gun to anyone's head and said 'you must listen to these messages'.

But, people listen to it, gravitate towards it. Ultimately, people like action/drama and those themes provide it and black people do this in their own unique way which other's find provocative. There's money to be made in that and someone will always invest in it.

Most media is white media. They are gonna promote what makes $$ and provocation is top of the list in entertainment (be it movies, music, books, recreation). But Black Media does the same thing when left to its own devices. Because $.

>I do think people are intelligent which is why I ask people to
>pay attention to the shit that mainstream media is presenting
>to us and have a critical eye on who is presenting it and why.

We've been doing this for eons. It's not new and Megan isn't some sort of embarrassment because she chose to do entertainment the way she is. Tiny desk has had: H.E.R., Summer Walker, Lizzo, Brittany Howard, Ari Lennox, Rhiannon Giddens, Nicole Bus, Tasha Cobbs Leonard, Georgia Ann Muldrow, Leikeli47, Nao, Cécile McLorin Salvant.

So based on that lineup, I'd say this particular form of 'white media' has given a platform for a wide variety of black women entertainers for the world to discover and enjoy. Singling out Megan as some sort of beacon was just lazy in my opinion.

>I ascribe a great deal of power to persuasive advertising,
>marketing, peer pressure, and brand identification. I assume
>that a small percentage of people under the age of 24 who are
>coming from certain backgrounds are more susceptible to the
>most negative messaging that is coming from white owned media
>and are not always aware of the consequences of their actions.

So...again, we are back to black people not being intelligent enough to recognize "persuasive advertising, marketing, peer pressure, and brand identification" enough to make up their own minds as to what they prefer to consume?

Like, you don't think we know there are other options (lol hell NPR's Tiny Desks provides a nice list alone)? This is like saying, if a network targeted an add aimed at black people which they hoped to provoke blacks to eat fertilizer, a large faction of black people would be susceptible to it. While I don't discount that there is power in the entities you listed, I don't deeply discount personal choice and accountability. I listened to NWA growing up and still went to college and never joined a gang or shot anyone. Most of the people I know who listened to NWA didn't either and I think we're in the majority.

>More words I never said. Never mentioned her lyricism. I
>think she's very lyrical and I'd rather listen to Megan than
>Rapsody anyway.

Fair. However, my point was, it's ok to have the options without feeling some sort of guilt over choosing to listen to/consume Megan's preferred choice of entertainment.

>Spoken like a true libertarian! I don't only ask Megan to be
>responsible about the shit she says, who she says it to, when
>she says it, and how she says it.

Is this responsibility leveled to every entertainer, no matter gender, race creed or color? Do you hold all artist, no matter the medium, to this level of standard?

I definitely expect people
>who have provided her with a platform to be responsible for
>what they are promoting and presenting. My complaint is
>actually not even about Megan thee Stallion, it's about white
>owned media.

Then why was the OP a highlight of her performance on NPR (which typically has a very diverse make up of artist) and not a critique of Lyor Cohen, 300 Entertainment or Atlantic Records Execs? Why not start the narrative there, put their names in the public eye and create enough noise to force them to address some of these concerns.

Megan chose the words, chose the career, chose the topics, ok'd the outfits. At any point, she could have said no. These are things she 'wants' to do. She will grow and change as she gets older hopefully but that's where she is right now.

>There are several approaches. One is to present the fact that
>the hypersexualization of black women in commercial hiphop is
>a consistent trope that encourages impressionable young women
>to engage in anti-social behavior and programs men to believe
>that women are only good for sex and should be manipulated
>into positions where they can be trafficked.

Again, we are back to black people not being intelligent enough to recognize "persuasive advertising, marketing, peer pressure, and brand identification" enough to make up their own minds as to what they prefer to consume.

I can watch John Wick murder 100 people and realize that murder is wrong. I can watch Menace II Society and realize I don't ever want to be in a gang. I can watch/listen to Megan thee Stallion and still respect the women in my life, understand that her message is entertainment only and I can teach my daughters the difference too.

*Shrug*

Another approach
>is to, like you said, create alternative sources of media,
>alternative identities, and to educate people on the bullshit
>that white media does. Another approach is to consistently
>educate young men on their responsibility to avoid
>dehumanizing women into sexual objects and degrading
>themselves by only thinking with their dicks.

All valid a better and don't require tearing down a black woman.