Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Your lack of respect for individuality reeks of institutionalized racism
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13353927&mesg_id=13354354
13354354, RE: Your lack of respect for individuality reeks of institutionalized racism
Posted by naame, Thu Oct-31-19 03:41 PM
>If you are invested in how black youth culture is
>represented, then create the representation you seek them
>having exposure to, educate them on the the ones you think are
>irresponsible and why and promote images that you believe are
>representative.

lol I do that and will continue to do so, thanks.

>I take offense to what you are ascribing to 'our culture' as
>if we cornered the market on degradation, sexualization and
>capitalism.

Words I never said

You are adopting oppression by making these
>things exclusive to 'our culture'

-No, I'm saying that these things are being presented in white mainstream media as exclusive to our culture. It is clearly not exclusive when you are within the culture, however, most of these white media executives and the audiences that follow them live in highly segregated communities and couldn't separate megan from rapsody if they were working in the cubicle right next to them.

while also slapping a 'you
>people' stench on the collective of black people. Also,
>generally assuming we aren't intelligent enough to separate
>message from entertainment.

I do think people are intelligent which is why I ask people to pay attention to the shit that mainstream media is presenting to us and have a critical eye on who is presenting it and why. I ascribe a great deal of power to persuasive advertising, marketing, peer pressure, and brand identification. I assume that a small percentage of people under the age of 24 who are coming from certain backgrounds are more susceptible to the most negative messaging that is coming from white owned media and are not always aware of the consequences of their actions.

>You want deep rooted, stick to your ribs lyricism, from the
>female POV...stream some Rapsody. You want down south bounce,
>party music with femme aggression...stream some Meagan. And
>it's great that we have both options.

More words I never said. Never mentioned her lyricism. I think she's very lyrical and I'd rather listen to Megan than Rapsody anyway.

Individualism is the >companion of freedom.

Spoken like a true libertarian! I don't only ask Megan to be responsible about the shit she says, who she says it to, when she says it, and how she says it. I definitely expect people who have provided her with a platform to be responsible for what they are promoting and presenting. My complaint is actually not even about Megan thee Stallion, it's about white owned media.

>It's funny that you think your opinion aimed to control
>someone else's narrative isn't a form of oppression. To turn
>your phrase, you are adopting oppression and acting like it's
>to the benefit of anyone but yourself. You don't think
>there's a better approach to this?

There are several approaches. One is to present the fact that the hypersexualization of black women in commercial hiphop is a consistent trope that encourages impressionable young women to engage in anti-social behavior and programs men to believe that women are only good for sex and should be manipulated into positions where they can be trafficked. Another approach is to, like you said, create alternative sources of media, alternative identities, and to educate people on the bullshit that white media does. Another approach is to consistently educate young men on their responsibility to avoid dehumanizing women into sexual objects and degrading themselves by only thinking with their dicks.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.