Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat is Byron Allen's image of black women?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13353927&mesg_id=13354116
13354116, What is Byron Allen's image of black women?
Posted by naame, Thu Oct-31-19 08:05 AM
Black men have also controlled the popular image and formation of identity of Black women within Black youth culture and for the past 30 years the image was at best as his sidekick. I don't disagree with Black feminists on the need for showing women who are just as in control of their sexual enjoyment as men. I may bristle at it because I am jealous of people who can be unapologetically promiscuous or I want to control Black women. I also recognize that a lot of Black men want their wives to be the same that white men wanted of their wives as docile homemakers. We want to control the womb and think of women as only being good for making babies and carrying on our legacy.

I think the issue is that if she cant get fame and celebrity speaking to black women about their sexual pleasure, It's not her fault. It's our fault as men who are not stepping up to confront our own misogyny and sexism. She should be able to say these things to her audience and not be perceived as a whore or stripper. Megan is expressing that she is in control of her own sexual pleasure. She isn't a whore. She should be able to say what she wants but these white media companies are the ones that keep stereotyping black women as jezebels.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.