Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHoward U Professor Greg Carr on Megan thee Stallion
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13353927&mesg_id=13353927
13353927, Howard U Professor Greg Carr on Megan thee Stallion
Posted by naame, Wed Oct-30-19 08:41 AM
https://twitter.com/AfricanaCarr/status/1189032579552436225

Dr. Carr posted her NPR Tinydesk performance and said "Without Comment" in a passive aggressive way. Then proceeded to state that he was not commenting on the content, although he did do that passive aggressively as well, but he was more concerned about the fact that she was not giving the clean version of her notoriously raunchy music. Dr. Carr tried to defend his position by posting an article he wrote for The Root about Larry Wilmore telling President Obama at the White House Correspondents Dinner "You did it, my nigga." The conclusion of that article didn't actually defend Carr's passive aggressive assertions though, because he comes to the conclusion that Wilmore's use of the word was somehow a freeing of Black people from the yoke of white oppression because it was used to express affinity while making whites uncomfortable.

I agree with many of the women who argued with Dr. Carr saying he was throwing a stone and hiding his hand by not standing up for how he felt about Megan's performance in his initial thoughts. It's a function of twitter that his initial impulse was to repost the performance and not give his full thoughts on the issue, probably because he knew that his thoughts were going to be misogynistic and patriarchal. Dr. Carr missed the Wu-Tang performance on Tinydesk and the myriad other hiphop performances at Tinydesk that have not been censored, although they are toned down from general performances in clubs, arenas, or stadiums.

In my opinion Megan is part of commercial hiphop now, just the same as Cardi B and any have stated on here before that the way commercial hiphop and she will have the stigma of college stripper attached to her public persona for the rest of her career, the same way male commercial rappers in the late 90s and 00s were seen as glorified drug dealers, murderers, pimps and thugs.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.