Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBerne says black folks need to respect police...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13353733
13353733, Berne says black folks need to respect police...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Oct-28-19 08:52 PM
https://www.complex.com/life/2019/10/bernie-sanders-tells-student-to-respect-police-so-he-doesnt-get-shot-in-the-back-of-the-head
13353758, i'm surprised no one has commented
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-29-19 09:34 AM
lol, crickets.
13353763, Old Jewish man says something an old Jewish man would say.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Oct-29-19 09:48 AM
13353764, Old Jewish man says something an old Black man would say.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Oct-29-19 09:49 AM

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13353765, Old Jewish man says something an old white man would say.

13353766, Old Jewish man says something an old man would say.

13353767, Old man says something an old man would say.

13353774, Old person says something an old person would say.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Oct-29-19 09:58 AM

13353802, Because this forum is Bernie Bros Central
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Oct-29-19 10:50 AM
13353762, not clicking. what's the context?
Posted by PROMO, Tue Oct-29-19 09:48 AM
13353772, ...
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-29-19 09:56 AM
The forum was held at the historically black college Benedict College. While
fielding questions from the audience, a black student asked Sanders: "If I'm your
son, what advice would you give me next time I'm pulled over by a police officer?"

Sanders responded by telling the student to try to identify the police officer "in a
polite way" and comply with the officer's request "so that you don't get shot in the
back of the head."

13353775, ooof.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Oct-29-19 10:00 AM
not good.

i mean, i know parents that have had that same message to their kids, but coming from a white politician...ooof.
13353776, Full quote is more about, know your rights
Posted by bentagain, Tue Oct-29-19 10:03 AM
Don’t really see the controversy

“I would respect what they are doing so that you don't get shot in the back of the head, but I would also be very mindful of the fact that as a nation, we have got to hold police officers accountable for the actions that they commit," he said. "I would be very cautious if you were my son in terms of dealing with that police officer, but I would also defend my rights and know my rights and make sure if possible that police officer's camera is on what goes on."
13353780, ah, there it is.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Oct-29-19 10:07 AM
this is a nothingburger in that context.
13353791, Right and from what I understand his tone when he said it was more ...
Posted by Brew, Tue Oct-29-19 10:34 AM
... "cops are racist and will shoot you in the head for no reason" than "black people aren't respectful to police" know what I mean.
13354150, 👍🏾
Posted by hardware, Thu Oct-31-19 09:35 AM
13353797, ^the no-context allowed zone.
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Oct-29-19 10:40 AM
-->
13353768, He also runs his finger around the rim of the glass when a black...
Posted by flipnile, Tue Oct-29-19 09:51 AM
...person hands it to him like that white dude over the Evans' house in Good Times.
13353771, “Immediately grab the cop’s gun and handcuffs
Posted by Fire1986, Tue Oct-29-19 09:53 AM
and subdue him first...”

???

What advice should he have given the student?
13353773, Biden says, my privilege will protect you
Posted by bentagain, Tue Oct-29-19 09:56 AM
I mean, if we’re writing click bait posts and all
13353777, it's not click bait
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-29-19 10:05 AM
that's what he said
13353804, Black folks need to respect the police
Posted by bentagain, Tue Oct-29-19 11:03 AM
Is not what he said.
13353779, The woke scolds are like today's Puritan Pilgrims...
Posted by shockvalue, Tue Oct-29-19 10:06 AM
In that the crucible of questions aimed at their targets have no conceivable answers that will exonerate the accused of their suspected crime. Dodge the question and you are avoiding the issue, answer it earnestly and you are still burned as a witch, for deigning to speak in a finite way to a complex problem.

Bernie’s dilemma was that, when asked a question akin to, “What advice would you give to someone who found themselves suddenly capsized in a raging river,” he gave the kind of advice that an honest and concise person would. Utilitarian, plainspoken, with the glaringly obvious understanding that the hypothetical capsized swimmer is in a dangerous situation they didn’t create, but must nevertheless make the best of the aspects of it that are under their control.

Exactly the kind of advice a good parent or swimming teacher would give.

He didn’t interject with a lot of dumb disclaimers about how the hapless capsized person wasn’t responsible for the terrain of the river that caused those rapids to exist, or how in a perfect world, rafts would remain seaworthy at all times and people wouldn’t have to deal with these situations. No parent or instructor speaks like that; it obfuscates the issue and is patronizing.

Paranoidly searching every answer for the way in which, if you look at it in the most uncharitable light possible, it betrays the sinfulness of the accused’s heart, is exactly like the work of a fanatical, vengeful sect.

These utopian people need to shove off for woker shores, and leave the rest of us to try to improve the here and now.
13353781, Exactly. This is the insincere world we live in now.
Posted by Fire1986, Tue Oct-29-19 10:12 AM
To commit to something is naive; to speculate endlessly is the correct course.
13353790, everyone wants to twist the word "woke"
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-29-19 10:31 AM
i mean, who gets shot in the back of the head? certainly not the likes of him. but
hey, if nobody cares....why should i?
13353798, RE: everyone wants to twist the word "woke"
Posted by shockvalue, Tue Oct-29-19 10:41 AM
>i mean, who gets shot in the back of the head? certainly not
>the likes of him. but
>hey, if nobody cares....why should i?

How is any of this a response to what I wrote, or to what Bernie said?

You point out that Bernie is not of the main demographic that gets unreasonably shot by police, so what?

Does that make his referral to getting shot in the back of the head as a possibility somehow incorrect or misguided?

Why wouldn't this indicate instead that he is aware of the statistics, and is aware that this possibility is likely the actual subtext of the question? Do you doubt that this is the likely subtext of the black man's question?

I see empathy and awareness, you see...I'm not sure what, but sin of some kind.

13353801, i think he could have
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-29-19 10:50 AM
communicated that a little better. but whatever, i'm not voting for him anyway.
13353806, There is no right answer here for his critics.
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Oct-29-19 11:08 AM
Regardless of what he would say it would be problematic.

"Resist, assert your rights and defend against corrupt police."

omg Bernie is showing his privilege - as only he could get aggressive with police and not worry about being shot.

"Be calm, respectful, and save the fight for later in court."

omg Bernie wants black men to get killed and is insensitive.

-->
13353877, this is anti-bernie politics not political correctness runamok
Posted by naame, Tue Oct-29-19 03:56 PM
certain people in the democratic party and their media mouthpieces don't like what bernie says or how he says it.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.
13353783, Lol. Complex getting that CAA money with the faux-woke spin.
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Oct-29-19 10:16 AM

-->
13353814, you keep bringing up caa. whats the reference?
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-29-19 11:31 AM
you talking about caa the talent agency? you think caa is against bernie?
13353879, I been googlin too lol
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Oct-29-19 03:57 PM
13353884, lol dude got worldwide wes running a dark money shadow campaign
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-29-19 04:35 PM
against aoc and justice democrats.
13353900, RE: you keep bringing up caa. whats the reference?
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Oct-29-19 07:40 PM
I just recently did a deep dive research on the firm with the aid of some incredible investigative journalists. I'm using the reference here jokingly - because - well that's kinda what we do here when we wild out.

But here's the reference:

CAA presents itself as a “Nexus of talent, content, brands, technology, sports, and live events” creating “limitless opportunities for the storytellers, trendsetters, icons, and thought leaders who shape popular culture”. What does that mean? CAA represents thousands of clients across the entire mass media spectrum. From A-List movie stars and news anchors, to sports heroes and big tech CEOs. By putting so many influential and socially exhalted figures under one umbrella, it provides a pathway for ideas to inorganically seep into the cultural lexicon, ideas that can be instantly promoted by your favorite politician and your favorite NBA player simultaneously without the typical observer knowing they got that idea from the same person. It is the largest such agency of its kind in the world.

It's a brilliant business model that essentially does an exceptional job of molding public opinion via pop culture and pop media - whereby CAA clients get tremendous assists from powerhouse clients who are on board with pushing a certain candidate/message with a particular slant that serves the interest of CAA clients.

Wouldn’t it be easier to get an interview on CNN to promote your book when you and Chris Cuomo share an agent? Maybe get your up and coming football star on Jimmy Fallon? How about to promote a candidate on The View? Or simply a push talking point on all of the above?

So in the context of our discussions - CAA represents the interests of certain candidates in the 2020 primary. Its main client in 2016 was Clinton and of course they pushed anti-Bernie spins (from the 'bernie bro' narrative to him being a fake civil rights activist to smearing his so-called 'light record on gun control' etc...)

CAA employees were the 8th largest donor to Harris’ “Fearless for the People” leadership PAC, to the tune of $16,500 that year. CAA as a whole donated almost $479,000 to candidates and PACs in 2018, with Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Beto O’Rourke, and Elizabeth Warren all getting donations of $11,000 or higher. CAA represents all of Joe Biden’s interests. So, the next time you see a debate where you think Anderson Cooper is going easy on him, just remember they have the same agent, and he likely not only had a role in arranging and scheduling the debate, but also likely prepped both of them on a PR level beforehand.

It's the kind of back-room dealing and narrative scheming that got Donna Brazile (also a CAA client) in trouble with CNN.

An agent’s job is simple, really: find the most profitable outcome for your clients interests. If those interests get roasted on national television, you have to fight back, quickly, and with a vengeance.

One phone call, one email, one Twitter DM — that’s all it would take for the most trusted brand handler and talent agent in the world to get his message on every cable news show. If that message is “candidate x is bad”, and it reaches 10’s of millions of people every single day, you will win the information war. People will believe it because it’s coming from multiple “reputable” sources. If ABC, CNN, and MSNBC are all reporting the same thing, it’s probably true, right?

There are many times where you've seen the likes of Jake Tapper, Chris Cuomo, Bill Maher, Whoopi Goldberg, Charlemagne the God, Stephen Colbert, Poppy Harlow all use the same talking points, albiet in different ways. Well, all of the aforementioned are CAA clients (with hundreds more).

So CAA has developed into a massively influential firm - particularly within Democratic party politics - and if you cross one of their clients, they have an incredible means to exact revenge via a massive multimedia onslaught.

Source: CAA, UTA, Michael Kives, Darnell Strom, Rob Jaeger

-->
13353925, ok, interesting
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed Oct-30-19 08:26 AM
glad you posted this
13354058, Ugh
Posted by naame, Wed Oct-30-19 03:41 PM

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.
13353785, lol at this answer being a problem
Posted by naame, Tue Oct-29-19 10:18 AM
only on twitter

13353800, facts
Posted by Fire1986, Tue Oct-29-19 10:45 AM
13353807, this post clanking like a Ntilikina jumper....
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Tue Oct-29-19 11:10 AM
13353812, it was clumsy wording at the beginning but he cleaned it up.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-29-19 11:27 AM
most of the reaction is people seeing the headlines without the complete context.

some of the reaction is people being super-sensitive around the issue and the language used to address it (im not saying theyre right/wrong).

and some of the reaction is people just weaponizing his reply in bad faith.

even while being well-intentioned...bernie has shown some blind spots on race ('ghetto' debate answer, 'identity politics', etc). but this isnt even close to that imo.

he wasnt saying black people get shot because they arent respectful. he was saying you gotta play by their rules to get out of there alive. basically what black parents tell our children.

the question was framed around him hypothetically having a black son so i think he tried to humanize/familiarize the language at the start as if he was talking to his kid.
13353815, yup..like I said...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Oct-29-19 11:33 AM
https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13353733&mesg_id=13353733&page=#13353774

13353827, btw one of the biggest differences between the right and the left:
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-29-19 11:55 AM
the right simply sees their politicians as vessels for their ideology/policies. they arent caught up on eloquence, charisma, sincerity, intelligence, honesty, etc. they dont even care if youre an indicted criminal or proven fraud (on issues that dont affect them). just carry our cultural cross and do what we want you to do when we vote you in.

the left views their politicians through an increasingly strict personality inventory. you could have a ton of policy prescriptions to improve our lives and even be conceivably capable of getting them enacted. but woo boy you better not trip up on that one answer to that one question at that one forum.
13353866, all this
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Oct-29-19 03:15 PM
>most of the reaction is people seeing the headlines without
>the complete context.
>
>some of the reaction is people being super-sensitive around
>the issue and the language used to address it (im not saying
>theyre right/wrong).
>
>and some of the reaction is people just weaponizing his reply
>in bad faith.
>
>even while being well-intentioned...bernie has shown some
>blind spots on race ('ghetto' debate answer, 'identity
>politics', etc). but this isnt even close to that imo.
>
>he wasnt saying black people get shot because they arent
>respectful. he was saying you gotta play by their rules to
>get out of there alive. basically what black parents tell our
>children.
>
>the question was framed around him hypothetically having a
>black son so i think he tried to humanize/familiarize the
>language at the start as if he was talking to his kid.
13353875, RE: and some of the reaction is people just weaponizing his reply in bad faith
Posted by bentagain, Tue Oct-29-19 03:47 PM
Makes you wonder...

Biden was also at this forum and also fielded a similar question

...and answered if factually incorrect...

“If I were your daughter, what advice would you give me the next time I am stopped by the police?” the student asked Biden.

“If you were my daughter, you would be a Caucasian girl and you wouldn’t be pulled over,” Biden quipped.

Strange disparity in coverage of the Democratic front runner's repsonse

Why is that?

+1

"Senator Kamala Harris canceled her planned appearance at Saturday's Second Step Presidential Justice Forum at Benedict College in objection to the group awarding President Trump its Bipartisan Justice Award. She received the award in 2016. Harris attended a different event Saturday at Benedict College."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/second-step-presidential-justice-forum-bernie-sanders-respect-police-officer-2019-10-27/

13353883, i didnt see any biden video but i might like that answer.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-29-19 03:59 PM
sounded like a tongue in cheek semi serious jab at the racial disparity in just getting pulled over in the 1st place.

i could be assuming too much tho. what was the audience reaction?

did he go on to address the question head on after that or did he just leave it there?
13353886, Right, he made a joke out of it...
Posted by bentagain, Tue Oct-29-19 04:39 PM
and didn’t answer the question

You don’t need a video.
13353889, post the video fam.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-29-19 05:38 PM
youre acting like black people havent been lighting biden up this entire campaign and they only target bernie. just check symone sanders mentions.

i mean...both black candidates in the primary had no qualms about lighting biden up on stage in front of a national audience.

if bidens answer was that bad...im sure he would be getting lit up for that too.
13353893, It's in the link
Posted by bentagain, Tue Oct-29-19 06:20 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1188255543682568193
13353908, That's how I read it too but w/Biden who knows lol.
Posted by Brew, Tue Oct-29-19 09:26 PM
>sounded like a tongue in cheek semi serious jab at the racial
>disparity in just getting pulled over in the 1st place.
13354105, its exactly how we thought it was.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Oct-31-19 04:40 AM
biden made a lil quip. the crowd laughed and got what he meant. then he went on to expand upon it in a serious manner.

like i said...if biden did something that was genuinely offensive then black twitter would have been lighting his ass up too.
13353892, Not a Bernie fan but this isn't a story.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Oct-29-19 06:12 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13353894, Pass on Bernie
Posted by Lurkmode, Tue Oct-29-19 06:31 PM
and smh at Killa Mike and Nina Turner.
13353897, RE: Pass on Bernie
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Oct-29-19 07:18 PM
>and smh at Killa Mike and Nina Turner.

and Cornell West, and Cori Bush, and Harry Belaftone and generally a +37 favorability rating with black voters.

I guess we should laugh at all of them, too.

-->
13353898, I've been over Cornell West's political opinions
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Oct-29-19 07:35 PM
13353899, Yes smh at brother Cornel West
Posted by Lurkmode, Tue Oct-29-19 07:37 PM
>>and smh at Killa Mike and Nina Turner.
>
>and Cornell West, and Cori Bush, and Harry Belaftone and
>generally a +37 favorability rating with black voters.
>
>I guess we should laugh at all of them, too.
>
>-

I'm not laughing, I'm smh

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/second-step-presidential-justice-forum-bernie-sanders-respect-police-officer-2019-10-27/

"Sanders did not post his response on Twitter, instead posting a clip of him commenting on the criminal justice system. "If you are wealthy and powerful, or maybe the president, you are above the law. But if you are poor, if you're black, if you're Hispanic, it's a different story," he said in the clip."
13354031, Super hard pass on 2019 Bernie
Posted by Tw3nty, Wed Oct-30-19 01:56 PM
2016 Bernie was better.
13354068, Who you guys got then? it's pretty downhill from there
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Oct-30-19 04:14 PM