Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt's a political circus.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13348916&mesg_id=13349211
13349211, It's a political circus.
Posted by Vex_id, Wed Sep-25-19 01:37 PM
It can also be political suicide for the party pushing impeachment (unless they succeed and win the argument). The bar is set extraordinarily high for impeachment to succeed and for a President to actually be removed from office.

>Given that the bulk of the impeachment is held by both
>chambers of Congress, this whole process is still largely
>political despite how many laws Trump and his cronies break.

Everyone is posturing for 2020 (re)-election at this point - in both parties. Pelosi has been pressured for a while now to push for impeachment, and Republicans have basically decided to reject impeachment no matter what. The only play seems to be if Republicans feel that Trump is a loser in 2020 (or it's a loser for them to continue to support him in their local elections).

>I'm guessing the only way Trump will get removed if if he
>shames the Republicans so badly, they'll turn against him. I
>don't see that happening since I'm sure they are opportunist
>in their approach to the dude despite how much of a clown he
>is.

The Republicans have shown to have zero shame and have been stubbornly on the wrong side of history for a while now - I don't think anything changing that current within the next 12-18 months. I think the only way for this to be smart for Democrats is if they think their candidates are set to lose to Trump in 2020 - I don't see how this is politically favorable.

And of course - while we obsess over this - we don't put focus on the urgent and tragic military build-up in the Middle East, the fragile state of the world at the U.N. General Assembly - or the existential threat of climate change/planetary pollution that was highlighted earlier this week.

So it's not all good just because Nancy came out with a fairly muted endorsement for impeachment.

-->