Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYa boy Jay-Z just blamed single parents for cops murdering black men
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13345823
13345823, Ya boy Jay-Z just blamed single parents for cops murdering black men
Posted by lightworks, Sat Aug-31-19 08:31 PM
https://twitter.com/rzstprogramming/status/1167851028777177088?s=21
13345826, Nas won
Posted by DJR, Sat Aug-31-19 09:04 PM
13345829, camel facts
Posted by isaaaa, Sat Aug-31-19 09:31 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://www.Tupreme.com
13345833, even tho thats an old vid jay still looking like an herb out here.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Aug-31-19 09:47 PM
i have no idea why he thought this was all gonna fly.

you know dudes next album is gonna be whining about cancel culture lol.
13345864, 4:44 Sounded like someone walking us through their midlife crisis anyways
Posted by MEAT, Sun Sep-01-19 11:22 AM
8:88 minus well be about respectability politics and pulling your pants up.
Drop some hot tracks about driving the speed limits and not staying out past 2am
13345836, damn Jigga man.
Posted by tariqhu, Sat Aug-31-19 10:05 PM
glad to know my animosity for cops is the fault of my momma and not related to how some cops treated me in the past.
13345890, Some Twitter folks called him Jigger
Posted by MEAT, Sun Sep-01-19 06:49 PM
And yeah that’s apt
13346132, that IS how he pronounces it on 'Takeover'
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Sep-04-19 08:43 AM
"don't let them gas you that JIGGER is ass and won't cap you"
13346787, "only way to roll, Jigger and two ladies" - Give It To Me
Posted by atruhead, Sun Sep-08-19 04:19 PM
13345837, not quite sure that's what happened here at all
Posted by atruhead, Sat Aug-31-19 10:13 PM
a) 31 seconds is not full context

b) "a kid is mad at the world, he disrespects cops and gets killed" doesnt equal "cops are justified because they feel disrespected", "if everyone had two parents, cops would never murder these kids" or whatever people are trying to make this into
13345865, He's really rich and wants to stay really rich
Posted by MEAT, Sun Sep-01-19 11:22 AM
13345841, Jay Lost!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Sat Aug-31-19 11:24 PM
13345861, he might as well go full villian with it
Posted by Amritsar, Sun Sep-01-19 09:36 AM
He won't. Because he can continue to toe the line - and the people who like him will continue to cite the "I got rich and gave back thats the win win" line

or some newer variation
13345866, Money and friends change you
Posted by handle, Sun Sep-01-19 11:24 AM
>https://twitter.com/rzstprogramming/status/1167851028777177088?s=21

I was raised by a single mother so I can say is: Fuck you Jay-Z.
13345868, *kanye laugh*
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Sep-01-19 11:59 AM
13345869, **just**
Posted by Hellyeah, Sun Sep-01-19 11:59 AM
**links 9 months old video**
13345872, I realized it was in January only after I posted. *Kanye shrug*
Posted by lightworks, Sun Sep-01-19 12:40 PM
13345870, this is the type of propaganda that got trump elected...
Posted by Trinity444, Sun Sep-01-19 12:34 PM
feeding the naysayers half truths lol

13345873, Philando Castile was raised by a single mother
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Sep-01-19 01:00 PM
and so were plenty black males who FULLY COMPLY with law enforcement just like he did. Look what happened to him tho, Mr.-Z.
13345875, I truly can’t even think of a single famous case he’s talking about.
Posted by lightworks, Sun Sep-01-19 01:15 PM
I racked my brain trying to figure out “maybe there WAS a case out there where the black guy didn’t comply and that’s specifically what Jay is talking about”

But nope—some even said Mike Brown didn’t listen when the policeman told him to move out the street but even if Jay is talking about that it makes no sense because you simply can’t use single parent households to justify racist murder cops.

But yeah that wasn’t Sean Bell or Amadou or Trayvon or Jordan or Tamir or Ayanna or...

I hope Jay speaks out on how he was wrong soon.

Drop a MIA freestyle or something nigga.
13345876, he wasnt justifying anything
Posted by atruhead, Sun Sep-01-19 03:27 PM

>But nope—some even said Mike Brown didn’t listen when the
>policeman told him to move out the street but even if Jay is
>talking about that it makes no sense because you simply
>can’t use single parent households to justify racist murder
>cops.

he's a top 5 most important black public figure (Jay, Beyonce, Oprah, Obama and Questlove in no order unless Im forgetting someone)

If an old video remotely said what impressionable people are making this into, he would have caught heat back then

he factually said "A leads to a lack of respect for authority, B is how police officers respond to disrespect"

he did not say "B is how police officers respond to disrespect which is perfectly fine because A (there should have been fathers in black households)"

nor did he say or imply "If kids had fathers at home, they wouldn't be murdered by police"

what happened here was someone an axe to grind about this NFL deal twisted a snippet to get sheep to react

13345878, Still corny, smh.
Posted by isaaaa, Sun Sep-01-19 03:49 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://www.Tupreme.com
13345885, More YT kids in single parent households than black kids
Posted by bentagain, Sun Sep-01-19 06:22 PM
https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race#detailed/1/any/false/871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133,38,35/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431

Yes, the percentages are disproportionate, but the actual number of yt kids in single parent families >>>

He’s regurgitating a trope from the Moynihan report

Every generation has examples of police brutality with no consequence

From the civil rights era to the BPP for self defense to MOVE to Rodney King to Amadu Diallo to Tamir Rice...

You literally have to ignore history and any context to make that statement

He’s wrong.
13345886, "A" doesn't lead to a lack of respect for authority for beginners.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Sep-01-19 06:25 PM
There are many reasons why a black male may not have respect for authority, including a lifetime of being disrespected by authority, constantly seeing authority mistreat people we love, etc. Even still, "adverse feeling" for authority doesn't translate to telling police "fuck you", as most still comply with police, because it's life or death. Plenty of us were raised in single parent homes and comply with police, so his very premise is wrong.
That is not something he "factually said" as you claim.
13345888, he presented a scenario that wasnt blaming kids or absent fathers
Posted by atruhead, Sun Sep-01-19 06:39 PM
he also spoke from personal experience as someone who grew up fatherless
13345891, Are you acknowledging that "A" does not lead to a lack of respect
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Sep-01-19 06:59 PM
for authority, or are you continuing under the guise that it's a factual statement that it does?

>he presented a scenario that wasnt blaming kids or absent fathers

If your equation is taken as factual, then no one is going to blame anyone outside of the black community for our single parent households which allegedly lead to a lack of respect for authority. The single parent home nonsense wasn't just false but unnecessary, as the focus should be on the racial bias in policing, period. Even to the point of saying "fuck" to the cops, it leads to death for black males and not others.

>he also spoke from personal experience as someone who grew up
>fatherless

As do I.

13345895, I guess we can agree to disagree?
Posted by atruhead, Sun Sep-01-19 09:22 PM

RE: Are you acknowledging that "A" does not lead to a lack of respect
for authority, or are you continuing under the guise that
>it's a factual statement that it does?

There are plenty of fatherless kids that grow up with a "fuck the world" attitude, Im also acknowledging there are also others who dont.

The single parent home nonsense wasn't just
>false but unnecessary, as the focus should be on the racial
>bias in policing, period. Even to the point of saying "fuck"
>to the cops, it leads to death for black males and not
>others.

Im not caping for him, but it's a 31 second clip likely taken out of context since people are upset about this NFL deal. as a rapper who's talked about police discrimination in his music, I truly doubt he failed to put the onus on police in whatever interview this was. the double standard for other races receiving fair treatment goes without saying for anyone with an understanding of how this country operates
13345896, For sure, although I'm not sure we do completely.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Sep-01-19 09:45 PM
>There are plenty of fatherless kids that grow up with a "fuck
>the world" attitude, Im also acknowledging there are also
>others who dont.

This goes for any demographic. Some respect authority and others don't. That's why I say the single-parent distinction was unnecessary. If he wanted to give reasons why black males might have issues with authority, the blame should've been placed on how the system targets and interacts with us, imo.

>Im not caping for him, but it's a 31 second clip likely taken
>out of context since people are upset about this NFL deal.

I'd say that's moreso people saying "Been trying to tell yall he's been like this" and others saying "damn I wasn't paying attention" but sure... it's because he's currently in the news w/ the NFL deal.

>a rapper who's talked about police discrimination in his
>music, I truly doubt he failed to put the onus on police in
>whatever interview this was. the double standard for other
>races receiving fair treatment goes without saying for anyone
>with an understanding of how this country operates

I don't really disagree here. I just think he put too much onus (which is any at all) on black folks for police killing them, given the double standard.

13345892, But see, bitch muthafukka.....
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Sun Sep-01-19 07:37 PM
>
>>But nope—some even said Mike Brown didn’t listen when
>the
>>policeman told him to move out the street but even if Jay is
>>talking about that it makes no sense because you simply
>>can’t use single parent households to justify racist
>murder
>>cops.
>
>he's a top 5 most important black public figure (Jay, Beyonce,
>Oprah, Obama and Questlove in no order unless Im forgetting
>someone)

You're lost.

>If an old video remotely said what impressionable people are
>making this into, he would have caught heat back then

You underestimate the collective sleepyness of sheep.

>he factually said "A leads to a lack of respect for authority,
>B is how police officers respond to disrespect"

Nope. Because when the proverbial "B" is perpetrated by euro-americans, more times than not, the result isn't fatal. This means you're full of apologetic shit. Do betta....

>he did not say "B is how police officers respond to disrespect
>which is perfectly fine because A (there should have been
>fathers in black households)"

Now you're just wiping up Jay's Doodoo. Who does that?

>nor did he say or imply "If kids had fathers at home, they
>wouldn't be murdered by police"

Actually, Yes, .....he did imply that! You might wanna revisit the footage, Duke.
>
>what happened here was someone an axe to grind about this NFL
>deal twisted a snippet to get sheep to react

Naw, people with mere smidgets of socio-political acumen, that which you are void of, readily perceived his coon-affinity and called him on it. I don't expect *you to get that because uhmmm..., well....you're you.
13345894, Please get help
Posted by atruhead, Sun Sep-01-19 09:14 PM
I understand okayplayer GD is a safe haven for socially awkward people, but in no way am I reading anything that starts with that subject line, I caught a glimpse of something about "wiping Jay Z's doodoo" and you have to log off and fix whatever is wrong. Im not about to internalize that bad energy
13345897, Please get ballz....
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Sun Sep-01-19 10:09 PM
I read your response, and like many other of your responses, they are devoid of any testicular fortitude, ....ripe-laden with feminine energy the likes of Sistaz that would never give your herb azz the time of day! Please get masculinity.

Thanks....
13345915, LMAO
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Mon Sep-02-19 09:49 AM
13346794, He’s mixing up commonality with causation
Posted by spirit, Sun Sep-08-19 07:21 PM
Just because a group of people have problems with authority and also happen to have been raised by a single mother doesn’t mean one thing caused the other. My problems with authority started when I ran into authority figures who were fucking racist.

And on a side note, I don’t give a shit if an unarmed person is yelling the worst insults ever at a cop or even defying direct orders to stop walking or whatever, actually shooting an unarmed person to death is a WILDLY unjustified disproportionate response to that.

So Jay’s Statement is all the way wrong. As for the lack of response until now, I didn’t see this video until now. Maybe it wasn’t widely publicized until recently.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
13345887, Shawn Carter needs to chill.
Posted by Kira, Sun Sep-01-19 06:32 PM
This can't be Jay-z. This has to be Shawn Carter businessman, mogul, and husband of Beyonce.

Jay-z would never turn his back on his people like this. We aren't walking around disrespecting police period.

What household do white terrorists grow up in? Shawn Carter is a coward for this bullshit statement.
13345916, Ultimately his point just doesn’t make sense.
Posted by lightworks, Mon Sep-02-19 09:54 AM
If he’s talking about the famous cases of black men being murdered by cops, all of them complied and none of them were like “fuck you!”

Even if he’s talking about everyday hypothetical situations it still doesn’t make sense because blaming the victim versus holding the policeman accountable is a shitty thing to do.

It just kills me that he would even introduce this “it’s the single parent homes that’s are causing black men to be killed by cops” narrative into the media because sadly people pay attention to something he says versus a random person on twitter and now white folks are gonna point to that statement and blame the victim the next time a cop kills someone, even though they were fully complying with them.
13345919, Maybe if Dave Chapelle said it in a standup routine, folks would see it.
Posted by bentagain, Mon Sep-02-19 10:58 AM
13345921, lol
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Sep-02-19 11:56 AM
13345927, bruh LOLOLOLOL
Posted by Damali, Mon Sep-02-19 03:15 PM
13345938, lol
Posted by Cenario, Mon Sep-02-19 04:12 PM
13345939, The angle might have been about fatherlessness / parentlessness
Posted by Atillah Moor, Mon Sep-02-19 04:15 PM
Or general lack of parental role models who provide security and some degree of love for their children. Those types of experiences make non whites such as ourselves larger targets for the system of incarceration. The argument was hopefully not that it removes the target by having nuclear or otherwise secure families
13346076, How does a cop know if one is fatherless or parentless?
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Sep-03-19 03:23 PM
13346785, Predators know what behaviors to look for in their prey
Posted by Atillah Moor, Sun Sep-08-19 03:11 PM
13346057, "Just"? This is from January 2019.
Posted by Melanism, Tue Sep-03-19 01:37 PM
13346131, he could have replaced those words with 'racist society that targets black people'
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Sep-04-19 08:42 AM
and have been good.

But nope. He had to take out the club and be like

"Captain...CaAaAaAAAAPITAaAAAaALISM!!"
13346792, So what was the excuse prior to the late 1960s
Posted by Musa, Sun Sep-08-19 06:34 PM
???

This argument has no legs to stand on its not even quadriplegic it's brain dead on a machine called white supremacy myths.