Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13345149
13345149, ** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **
Posted by Geah, Wed Aug-28-19 02:59 AM
13345155, everytime i see a good comedy special i start to write jokes
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Aug-28-19 06:49 AM
i think about doing a open mic
then i just fall back
rinse repeat

my brother in law is an open mic in DC
i tell him these jokes....he says they are good
so much so I went to a show he was an opener for this weekend
he told me he was going to use some of my premises
he did
they rung off
think i'll just write lol
13345192, My kids be blocking like a muuuhhhfukka
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Aug-28-19 10:37 AM
Anyway.. we need a babysitter bad. Iont trust people tho

Finances. Man. This is probably the best I’ve ever felt financially. Stress levels are low as hell right now.

So far from where we were a little over a year ago.
13345194, i tried watching that travis scott documentary on netflix.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Aug-28-19 10:41 AM
i dont get the hype around him.

like at all.
13345195, If there was ever a way for us to stay in this current pocket, I'd love...
Posted by Creole, Wed Aug-28-19 10:44 AM
for it to reveal itself. At some point (and hopefully no time soon), we'll have another opportunity for growth presented to us.

I'm just gonna keep praying for her, for me, and for us as much as I can on a daily basis.
13345206, I think have post traumatic car-purchase syndrome.
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Aug-28-19 11:23 AM
LOL. Symptoms include wondering if I made the best choice, researching cars still, and envying the other cars I see on the road, especially SUVs. I wanted a SUV but I couldn’t afford the one that I wanted so I got a sedan hatchback that I really like.

- I'm juuust now following up with recruiters from the convention I attended a couple weeks ago and I’m so embarrassed. I’m probably making a piss poor impression with my tardiness but better within two weeks than never. Hopefully, some of them remember me. I need a new job STAT.

- I didn’t do shit at work last week except for the bare minimum. It’s was the most unproductive week in the two years that I’ve been at the company. Brain is mush, partially due to car buying/reseaching, personal side hustle ish and the convention-Miami trip. Oh, well. I'm underpaid and I haven't held up any projects. They'll deal.
13345207, lol
Posted by mista k5, Wed Aug-28-19 11:32 AM
>LOL. Symptoms include wondering if I made the best choice,
>researching cars still, and envying the other cars I see on
>the road, especially SUVs. I wanted a SUV but I couldn’t
>afford the one that I wanted so I got a sedan hatchback that I
>really like.
>

it took me some weeks to like my new car and now i "love" it. buying cars is so stressful.

>
>- I didn’t do shit at work last week except for the bare
>minimum. It’s was the most unproductive week in the two
>years that I’ve been at the company. Brain is mush,
>partially due to car buying/reseaching, personal side hustle
>ish and the convention-Miami trip. Oh, well. I'm underpaid and
>I haven't held up any projects. They'll deal.
>
i cant bring myself to do anything extra at my job. im actually not doing everything i should be doing. i get paid okay. just got a raise that was less than i was expecting. i really need to find something new. coasting will only work for so long. im basically just waiting for my bonus next year which isnt until april so maybe i should try finding something else now instead. meh.
13345243, ...
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Aug-28-19 12:57 PM
>
13345245, my confession is that I wont confess anything personal on here again
Posted by atruhead, Wed Aug-28-19 01:02 PM
13345254, Not voting or engaging *anything* political this time*
Posted by flipnile, Wed Aug-28-19 01:38 PM
*I might vote during the general election when it's Dem vs. Rep vs. EE just to do my part to get rid of Don, but that's it.

Politics (to me) seems incredibly dumb and manipulative, and people get so irrationally passionate about it that everything becomes polarized. People arguing about politics seems far worse than people arguing about sports. At least with sports we have actual W/L records and statistics to determine things. In politics, there's just social manipulation. Changing my party back to "independent" as well.

I haven't seen a single candidate that I would even invite into to my house.
13345258, RE: Not voting or engaging *anything* political this time*
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Aug-28-19 01:54 PM
What do you dislike about Warren? I’m not offended and I don’t want to argue; I’m just curious. She’s the only person I like.
13345391, I don't dislike her, I'm honestly just not motivated by *any* candidates
Posted by flipnile, Thu Aug-29-19 10:00 AM
I don't think or feel like they represent *me* and what I want for this country. No candidates do.

I *feel* like it's bad faith to cast a vote for someone that I truly don't believe in, so I won't.

With that said Warren is near the top of the current list for me, but still not for enough "out there" for me. I'm of the opinion that radical, deep changes are required of the government and its' relationship with mega-corporations/rich people, otherwise we're going to continue this slow decline of increasing financial insecurity, economic stratification and civil unrest.

I'm gonna do some more research on Warren tho. And I'm still gonna vote in the GE. I want to get Trump out the paint.
13345261, That’s exactly how they want it too
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Aug-28-19 02:03 PM
Make it so ugly and frustrating you just give up and stop voting.

I need to get better at local elections that have more impact on me directly. I don’t know half the names I see not what they are about unless it’s the big race like mayor.

13345387, I feel you. This is about the presidential election, not locals
Posted by flipnile, Thu Aug-29-19 09:52 AM
I still vote for mayor, city council and the ballot bills. I still vote for my state reps and governor.

I'm opting out of voting for president and possibly the state senators as well. Every election there's all this fucking drama, but in the end NOTHING REALLY GETS DONE OR CHANGED in terms of things that effect day-to-day living.

Just non-stop arguing about shit that will NEVER see true resolution because that's the goal...
13345388, Word.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Aug-29-19 09:57 AM
13345308, i used to have a fascination with hurricanes
Posted by mista k5, Wed Aug-28-19 04:07 PM
like rooting they would turn into major ones. i didnt want people to die but i guess i wanted to know what seeing something historic was like. nah, not no more. i cant even justify my previous fascination. i get nothing but sad when i hear theres a storm building. i dont really wanna see pictures of people prepping or anything.

hope everyone in PR stays safe.
13345366, I use to wonder why you can't drop a bomb in tornadoes and hurricans
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Aug-29-19 09:00 AM
It makes sense in a 10 year olds understanding of the world.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13345373, My sister was just in a car accident. She’s ok.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Aug-29-19 09:25 AM
I called my other sister and told her. She said she would call..

But she hasn’t called yet.

Not sure what that’s about.
13345376, glad shes okay!
Posted by mista k5, Thu Aug-29-19 09:28 AM
13345378, What happened to that Chappelle Post?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Aug-29-19 09:34 AM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

13345384, You good?
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Aug-29-19 09:49 AM
It’s still there. Never left as far as I can tell.
13345397, Word? Share the link. I can't find it.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Aug-29-19 10:23 AM

13345400, oops. my bad.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Aug-29-19 10:35 AM

13345392, Whining, howling barking dogs on my block... every day & night.
Posted by flipnile, Thu Aug-29-19 10:06 AM
Every day. I also have a few white neighbors. They own dogs as well.

Every day, I think "when y'all gonna handle this?"

https://i0.wp.com/www.classic8media.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/IMG_9177-1.jpg

...because I've already:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/960/082/cac.jpg
13345408, for your viewing pleasure...*swipe*
Posted by Pamalama, Thu Aug-29-19 11:12 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-excessive-barking-a-chevy-chase-dog-park-divides-the-rich-and-powerful/2019/08/27/0b9fd242-c4e5-11e9-9986-1fb3e4397be4_story.html

Everyone knows there’s a problem with Chubbs.

Dirt is smeared across his face. His tongue is rolling out of his mouth. He’s surrounded by signs that say “NO EXCESSIVE BARKING.”

But the 5-month-old golden retriever does not know how to read. At a dog park in one of Maryland’s wealthiest suburbs, he spends this sunny August morning rolling on his back. He opens his mouth, and then, he does it.

He woofs. Twice.

“CHUBBS!” four humans around him yell, trying to stop him from doing what dogs do — just not in Chevy Chase Village this summer.

Here in this community of the rich and powerful, where the average household income is $460,000, barking is the subject of a ferocious (fur-ocious?) debate — one that has divided the two-legged one-percenters for nearly a year.

The drama began last fall when the village spent $134,000 to turn a muddy triangle of land into a park where pups could run off-leash in a fenced refuge. Chase tennis balls. Sniff one another’s butts.

But after about a month, signs decrying the barking of those dogs began appearing around the park. The village police started receiving almost daily calls about the noise, mostly from one particular neighbor whose house backs up to the park. By spring, the tension had escalated so much that the Chevy Chase Village Board of Managers called a public hearing. Then another in June. And another in July.

At the center of it all is Elissa Leonard, chair of the village board and wife to Jerome H. Powell, who is also a chair — of the Federal Reserve. In recent months, her husband has been under attack from President Trump, who appointed him but blames him for the tanking stock market. “My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powell or Chairman Xi?” the president tweeted Friday.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
· Aug 23, 2019
As usual, the Fed did NOTHING! It is incredible that they can “speak” without knowing or asking what I am doing, which will be announced shortly. We have a very strong dollar and a very weak Fed. I will work “brilliantly” with both, and the U.S. will do great...

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
....My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powell or Chairman Xi?

10:57 AM - Aug 23, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

36.9K people are talking about this

Leonard, meanwhile, is on the receiving end of a different siege: from village residents who say their peace and quiet has been disturbed by barking dogs.

“Around dinner time, I’d like to be able to sit on my deck and maybe read a book and chat with a friend or have a glass of wine, and the dogs are barking,” Joanie Edwards, the neighbor who had been calling police, testified at the meeting in May.

“As residents of Chevy Chase, how many times is it acceptable for you to be bothered in your house every day?” Tom Bourke, a real estate developer whose house sits across the street from the park, asked in June. “You’ve created a nuisance.”

The park regulars, he acknowledged, were trying to hush their hounds. He heard that they were ostracizing the yappiest dogs, including, he told the board, “a certain standard poodle whose name should be withheld.”

“But there are people,” chimed in Bourke’s wife, Dale, “and I don’t mean to characterize the District, but I just notice that they have District plates on their cars, and they have very little regard for us or our property . . . there are dogs barking and they’re just not doing anything.”

“I hear you,” Leonard said again and again, with the patience of a dog trainer. She explained to the residents that no, they could not restrict access just to dogs from the immediate neighborhood (where the houses for sale currently range in price from $1.1 million to $22.5 million). The village purchased this 15,000-square-foot parcel of land in the 1980s, in part, using state money, so it had to remain open to the public. For years, it had been a favorite spot of local dog owners, so when the village wanted to update its parks, a dog park just made sense. Neighbors voiced their support. A unanimous vote followed.

But now the park was somehow both a wild canine circus sabotaging property values and a beloved gathering space for only the politest of pooches.

Leonard, whose Norwich terrier, Pippa, does not frequent the park, tried to make both sides happy. To limit barking in the early hours, the board changed the opening time from 7 to 8 a.m. To stop outsiders from driving to Chevy Chase Village and parking on the Bourkes’ street — taking the spots where the family liked their lawn maintenance service to park — the dog park was wiped from the village website. To determine the extent of the barking and the parking, the board paid $1,300 for a woman with a graduate degree in epidemiology to spend weeks studying the behavior of the dogs and their humans.

During 54 visits, the researcher witnessed seven dog owners who drove to the park instead of walking.

“One of these people,” she testified in June, “did allow his dog to relieve himself on the green space next to the street.”

But on the barking, no conclusion was reached. What was minimal to some was enough for Edwards to call the police, exasperated that she had to turn on music inside her home so she didn’t have to hear the dogs. She doesn’t want to be the bad guy, she said in an interview. But as a retired elementary school teacher, she now spends her days at home painting. She does landscapes from her travels and portraits of people, vibrant creations so popular in her circle that friends and strangers have also commissioned her to paint their most beloved companions: their pets.

She and her husband, a lawyer, used to have dogs of their own. Her last, a black lab named Zoe, died four years ago.

“People in the community keep saying, ‘She should get another dog, if she had a dog, it would be different,’ ” Edwards said. “Well, first of all, I am a very considerate person, and if I had a dog, and he was barking in my back yard, I would bring him in. If my children were in a restaurant crying, I would take them out.”

The fence, she says, should come down, so the dog park is just a park. At a public hearing on Sept. 9, Leonard and the board may decide to do just that.

The dog lovers are planning to crowd the hearing, have organized a letter-writing campaign and started a Facebook group, Save the Chevy Chase Dog Park, with more than 100 likes.

“What are they going to do next, ban dancing?” asked Pat Murphy, the group’s moderator. Murphy, who lives in a nearby section of Chevy Chase, says he literally does “not have a dog in this fight.” He does not own a dog. He used to take his son’s miniature Australian shepherd to the park, but his son moved away this summer. Now he sometimes walks alone to the park, where every morning, the conversation returns to the handful of complaining neighbors.

“They should be put in jail,” said Doug Gansler, a former Maryland attorney general and an unsuccessful gubernatorial candidate, while his King Charles spaniel, Jack, searched for a new dog to hump.

“Doug!” scolded Patty Martin, mother to the park’s unofficial mayor, a French bulldog named Louie, and wife to the head of gastroenterology at Washington Hospital Center. She, too, thought the complainers were being selfish.

“Where’s the democratic process?” Martin asked in an interview last week. “Why is the 1 percent deciding for the 99 percent?”

“This is not verified,” she continued, “But we have heard through reliable sources that this woman has threatened a lawsuit against the village over the park. Well, many dog park users are lawyers, too, so we’re wondering, should we get a lawyer? Do we have grounds to sue?”

While lawyers consulted lawyers, her husband contacted media outlets. Eventually, the story made its way to this reporter, and to her recently adopted mutt, who visited the park in hopes of sniffing out what was really going on.

Despite their owners’ fretting, Chubbs, Jack, Louie and all the other dogs appear unaware that their joyful morning romp has caused such a kerfuffle. The aforementioned “standard poodle whose name should be withheld” did not make an appearance.

After this reporter’s dog spent some time digging (for the truth, we presume), he was asked what he thought of the park.

He woofed. Twice.

The police did not arrive.
13345416, This is how I feel. The dog owners on my block are extra with it too
Posted by flipnile, Thu Aug-29-19 11:31 AM
“Around dinner time, I’d like to be able to sit on my deck and maybe read a book and chat with a friend or have a glass of wine, and the dogs are barking,”

“...how many times is it acceptable for you to be bothered in your house every day?”

If not for the dogs, I'd hear mostly crickets and cicadas.

They leave their dogs outside 24/7. One dude has 4-5 of those dog crates, and I don't see the dogs running around so I assume they are in crates most of the time. Other neighbor's dog barks from roughly 8pm-11pm non-stop every night. Literal neglect in both cases. I feel bad for the dogs.

Like hourse of this, but with slightly deeper barks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdZvMcCaSYA
or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icbxrisDu3E
lol, I can hear the muted pain and anger in his voice. Dude has it worse than me. At least none of the dogs are in the properties next to mine, and I put privacy fencing up.

I also have to close all my windows and put on a fan for white noise, or else the barking drives me crazy.

Yeah, I be telling. Went and got the city's 311 app just so I can tell through that too.
13345510, They moved us to an open office four weeks ago.
Posted by MEAT, Thu Aug-29-19 04:21 PM
Productivity has been shot for me ever since
Today White Dude 1 got on a speaker phone call
I told him he’s wild loud
Asked if he could pick up the headset
Well I still need to talk he said.
I said not a problem. Could you just pick up the headset
And he scoffed incredulously. But he picked it up.
Why are white men so fucking fragile.
13345521, I’m not a hustler...
Posted by Trinity444, Thu Aug-29-19 04:54 PM
IG is intrusive. I don’t even like promoting my business there.
I’m tired of looking a pictures all day

13345526, The gram is just as fck'd up & depression inducing as Facebook at
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Aug-29-19 05:09 PM
This point....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13345556, that means you're on it too much
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Aug-29-19 06:50 PM
or looking at the wrong shit. lol

nah, I know it can be harmful especially if you start comparing yourself with the life others are putting out there. but that means cut time down for viewing.
13345563, I'm more referring to the professional aspect that she mentions....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Aug-29-19 07:41 PM
At least for me in a technical/creative leaning field....
I know it's supposed to be inspiring.... But it's kinda discouraging seeing folks perform their craft at such high quality levels AND have the time and energy to keep a tight and well curated gram. I'm like shit...I wish I had the time
13345569, right...
Posted by Trinity444, Thu Aug-29-19 07:48 PM
I don’t have that kind of dedication....

I thought hiring people would work but, its hard finding folks of like minds...create my vision or even understand it.

I wasted money.
13345582, My primary client was like "you should hire some help"
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Aug-29-19 08:24 PM
But that just shows the disconnect.....
I'M the help...

>I don’t have that kind of dedication....
>
>I thought hiring people would work but, its hard finding folks
>of like minds...create my vision or even understand it.
>
>I wasted money.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"
13345924, I think I agreed with SoWhat more than I disagreed with him.
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Sep-02-19 12:58 PM
I don't think we were enemies here, but I'm reading some old threads and just seeing we were on the same page on a lot, especially the controversial shit.

so... yeah.