Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTaylor Swift. Lover
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13344629&mesg_id=13344629
13344629, Taylor Swift. Lover
Posted by cbk, Fri Aug-23-19 01:10 PM
I did song by song first impressions of 1989 and Reputation.

So why stop now đŸ€˜

I forgot that you existed: Kinda weird—Reputation content over lighter, Lover production. Also thrown off that the chorus didn’t come in LOUD like 90% of her songs. Overall I dig it.

Cruel summer: Annie St fuckin Vincent co-wrote it so đŸ”„đŸ”„đŸ”„

Lover: Probably my most favorite thing Taylor’s ever ever done. Fucking beautiful. Loved the video too. I cry when I hear this song. First heard it last week while driving across the Bay Bridge with the wife after seeing Hamilton. If Taylor did an entire album of shit like this, I’d buy all remaining OKPs a copy and try to convince y’all of her genius.

The man: Her version of Bey’s if I was a boy? Formulaic Taylor production. Not mad.

The archer: I love this song too, but not as much as Lover. Stripped down synth pop.

I think he knows: Not bad. I get poppier Janelle Dirty Computer era vibes.

Ms Americana and the heartbreak prince: HUGE production. Dig the “Go! Fight! Win!” interplay chant at the end.

Paper rings: VERY poppy.

Cornelia street: Nice falsetto chorus. Lighters/smartphone flashlights on, while dancing.

Death by a thousand cuts: That harp! Shit threw me off. In a dope way. Makes me wanna insert some triplet arpeggio shit in my beats that doesn’t fit just to do it.

London boy: Idris ElbađŸ€˜

Soon you’ll get better: For her mom 😿. Tearjerker. Perfect Dixie Chix feature.

False god: DOPE. Drone-y. Horns are great. And no loud chorus.

You need to calm down: Been telling annoying people at work “you need to calm down!” since this song dropped. And they get the reference, without getting more annoying or mad. So thanks for that, Taylor. Love the chorus too.

Afterglow: I love this song too. Great build up to the chorus—her vocal melody changes with every pass.

ME: No more “counting is fun!” THANK GAWD. Always loved the chorus on this song.

It’s nice to have a friend: Fuck yeah, more songs like this. Choir riff, steel drums, glockenspiel?, horn outro. Short and sweet. My fav Taylor moments are when she strips shit down like this.

Daylight: Good ender. Optimistic.

Overall I think it’s up there with Red and 1989. My wife will probably “force” me to go to her Lover tour, which will put these songs in a different context (seeing her last tour made me appreciate Reputation more). I appreciate the different, lighter vibe of this album. The Todrick era has been good.