Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTaylor Swift. Lover
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13344629
13344629, Taylor Swift. Lover
Posted by cbk, Fri Aug-23-19 01:10 PM
I did song by song first impressions of 1989 and Reputation.

So why stop now šŸ¤˜

I forgot that you existed: Kinda weirdā€”Reputation content over lighter, Lover production. Also thrown off that the chorus didnā€™t come in LOUD like 90% of her songs. Overall I dig it.

Cruel summer: Annie St fuckin Vincent co-wrote it so šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„

Lover: Probably my most favorite thing Taylorā€™s ever ever done. Fucking beautiful. Loved the video too. I cry when I hear this song. First heard it last week while driving across the Bay Bridge with the wife after seeing Hamilton. If Taylor did an entire album of shit like this, Iā€™d buy all remaining OKPs a copy and try to convince yā€™all of her genius.

The man: Her version of Beyā€™s if I was a boy? Formulaic Taylor production. Not mad.

The archer: I love this song too, but not as much as Lover. Stripped down synth pop.

I think he knows: Not bad. I get poppier Janelle Dirty Computer era vibes.

Ms Americana and the heartbreak prince: HUGE production. Dig the ā€œGo! Fight! Win!ā€ interplay chant at the end.

Paper rings: VERY poppy.

Cornelia street: Nice falsetto chorus. Lighters/smartphone flashlights on, while dancing.

Death by a thousand cuts: That harp! Shit threw me off. In a dope way. Makes me wanna insert some triplet arpeggio shit in my beats that doesnā€™t fit just to do it.

London boy: Idris ElbašŸ¤˜

Soon youā€™ll get better: For her mom šŸ˜æ. Tearjerker. Perfect Dixie Chix feature.

False god: DOPE. Drone-y. Horns are great. And no loud chorus.

You need to calm down: Been telling annoying people at work ā€œyou need to calm down!ā€ since this song dropped. And they get the reference, without getting more annoying or mad. So thanks for that, Taylor. Love the chorus too.

Afterglow: I love this song too. Great build up to the chorusā€”her vocal melody changes with every pass.

ME: No more ā€œcounting is fun!ā€ THANK GAWD. Always loved the chorus on this song.

Itā€™s nice to have a friend: Fuck yeah, more songs like this. Choir riff, steel drums, glockenspiel?, horn outro. Short and sweet. My fav Taylor moments are when she strips shit down like this.

Daylight: Good ender. Optimistic.

Overall I think itā€™s up there with Red and 1989. My wife will probably ā€œforceā€ me to go to her Lover tour, which will put these songs in a different context (seeing her last tour made me appreciate Reputation more). I appreciate the different, lighter vibe of this album. The Todrick era has been good.
13344632, Throws tape at you. Gets no play in the whip.
Posted by 81 DUN, Fri Aug-23-19 01:20 PM
Turns up that new Keak Da Sneak. I play shit that slaps in the whip. You ain't from da Bay ughh!!!
13344633, 40 water just came out wit a new slapper. And you talkin Taylor smh
Posted by 81 DUN, Fri Aug-23-19 01:23 PM
You can't come to Oakland for 90 days mane
13344665, Daaang kicked outta Oakland???
Posted by cbk, Fri Aug-23-19 03:17 PM
90 days might work tho. Gotta see my uncle in Oakland for turkey day. šŸ˜Ž

13344689, I'm in a scraper. You in a Prius
Posted by 81 DUN, Fri Aug-23-19 07:18 PM
You post like wear birkenstocks
13344738, Seriously tho...
Posted by cbk, Sat Aug-24-19 08:09 PM
Howā€™d you know I drive a Prius???

13344638, Fuck Taylor Swift.
Posted by Airbreed, Fri Aug-23-19 01:58 PM
She's a vapid mediocre singer with a juvenile songwriting skill set who co-opts black culture while butchering Earth, Wind and Fire songs.

Fuck her.
13344666, Hmmm
Posted by cbk, Fri Aug-23-19 03:22 PM
EWF stealing angle is interesting. I never thought that before, but now Iā€™m curious.

About to give this shit another spin with that context. (My 5th šŸ¤˜)

THEN Iā€™ll put on that new Rapsody, Raph, and Missy šŸ˜Ž

13344747, ^^^^^^^^^^
Posted by bwood, Sun Aug-25-19 11:45 AM
Always plays the victim to make herself look better.
13344771, BASE
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Aug-25-19 05:27 PM
13345153, I'm like hey are you okay?
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Aug-28-19 05:41 AM
13345159, im good.
Posted by Airbreed, Wed Aug-28-19 07:49 AM
the mere mention of her name just strikes a nerve for me with all things considered.
13344648, No.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Aug-23-19 02:12 PM
13344680, God bless you. This album trash.
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Fri Aug-23-19 05:53 PM
Stick a fork in her. She ain't got the magic no more.
13344688, LOVER IS HER SIGN O THE TIMES
Posted by cbk, Fri Aug-23-19 07:00 PM
Per Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/taylor-swift-lover-album-rob-sheffield-875724/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

13344691, LOVER IS HER WHAT'S GOIN ON
Posted by 81 DUN, Fri Aug-23-19 07:30 PM
13344692, LOVER IS HER Miseducation of Lauren Hill
Posted by 81 DUN, Fri Aug-23-19 07:32 PM
13344693, LOVER IS HER Songs in the Key Of Life
Posted by 81 DUN, Fri Aug-23-19 07:37 PM
13344698, Cruel Summer is fucking great.
Posted by lightworks, Fri Aug-23-19 09:32 PM
13344739, Yup! Thought it mightā€™ve been Sounwave.
Posted by cbk, Sat Aug-24-19 08:17 PM
But looks like he did London Boy instead.
13345170, Lover is the best Neko Case song I've heard in a minute
Posted by Nodima, Wed Aug-28-19 08:39 AM

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." ļæ½ Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
13345182, Surprised by the critical response to this being more + than -
Posted by dgonsh, Wed Aug-28-19 09:39 AM
People fall over backwards to champion her comeback every two years. Theres some good stuff here and I like her work with Antanoff and Cautious Clay and Annie...but that, to me, is a symptom of her working with good producers. But then half the songs on this album are so superfluous...cut this album down to a tight 8 and it would be pretty great. But there's so much cringe here too.

Taylor, to me, is Tracy Flick. She wants it more than anyone that's ever wanted it, but is complete milquetoast

When Antanoff works with real talent, you get Lorde's Melodrama...perfection. The hybrid of songwriting and IT factor, interesting talent.

No one can elevate Taylor beyond her try-hard-blandness. She just wants it harder than anyone else. That's admirable, I just dont think she has it. Enjoy what you enjoy though! Not trying to take that away from you
13345485, RE: Surprised by the critical response to this being more + than -
Posted by cbk, Thu Aug-29-19 03:31 PM
>People fall over backwards to champion her comeback every two
>years. Theres some good stuff here and I like her work with
>Antanoff and Cautious Clay and Annie...but that, to me, is a
>symptom of her working with good producers.

You know, I was thinking about how my favorite songs were the more stripped down songs: Lover, Soon youā€™ll get better, Its nice to have a friend. I lose interest in the more ā€œproducedā€ tracks of hers. Iā€™d be curious to see how her songs would sound if she self produced.

But then half the
>songs on this album are so superfluous...cut this album down
>to a tight 8 and it would be pretty great. But there's so much
>cringe here too.

Yeah thereā€™s A LOT of songs here. She coulda picked 8-10 tracks and shit woulda been @@@@@

But then Iā€™m also buying into the take that this is her Sign O the Times šŸ˜¹. That cringe might wear off if I keep listening enough šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹

>Taylor, to me, is Tracy Flick. She wants it more than anyone
>that's ever wanted it, but is complete milquetoast

Hahaha!

>When Antanoff works with real talent, you get Lorde's
>Melodrama...perfection. The hybrid of songwriting and IT
>factor, interesting talent.

Agreed.

>No one can elevate Taylor beyond her try-hard-blandness. She
>just wants it harder than anyone else. That's admirable, I
>just dont think she has it. Enjoy what you enjoy though! Not
>trying to take that away from you

Thanks šŸ™. Honestly Taylorā€™s been getting just as much play as Raphael and Rapsody this week. I like the variety.

13345294, RE: Taylor Swift. Lover
Posted by BlakStaar, Wed Aug-28-19 03:43 PM
I hate that posts like this, ON OKP(!), get more replies on the first day than a Joi-related post in The Lesson in a whole month.

//end
13345765, Yeah, we can end this board
Posted by isaaaa, Fri Aug-30-19 07:45 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://www.Tupreme.com