Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYou are a commodity - stephen a smith speech to alabama players
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13344116
13344116, You are a commodity - stephen a smith speech to alabama players
Posted by naame, Tue Aug-20-19 03:29 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1FM21Nh74m/

The sellout mentality. It's sad to me that we haven't progressed in the last 30 years of Black male entertainers making googobs of money.
Instead of changing the narrative, they have adopted the message of the owners who invite them in, chew em up, and spit em out. This dude really out here preaching to the most exploited group of young men in any collegiate arena, the University of Alabama football team, that they are first, a commodity or a liability; second, only good for their value to the team (which includes Stephen A. and the ESPN team), and third: should base their success on the transactional relationships that they develop in life. He could have gone in there and talked about development of players' unions, talked about the need to focus on the need to work together as a unit, how they could use their roles to confront the climate of injustice roiling the United States and Alabama...but no

This is the same dude who came to Winston Salem State under the vaunted leadership of Clarence "Big House" Gaines and then got hurt. Big House advised Stephen A. to become a journalist and in one of Stephen A's first articles he says that Big House should step down because the team hadn't won a CIAA championship in 14 years. As if Big House's only value to the University was based off of his ability to win. Dude gotta be pathological.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.
13344126, meh this is basic "use the system dont let it use you"
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-20-19 04:10 PM
i dont have an issue w/ anything he said. he told them the truth. they're only good to Alabama as long as they can play football. these schollys aren't 4 year guarantees. and its 20 people behind you that can do what you do just as good.
13344127, I think you totally utterly missed his point.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Aug-20-19 04:11 PM
It's funny because I was thinking about making a post about how I worry that we aren't really preparing our young people for the future because we give them all these ideals growing up and in college that don't at all translate to making it in the real world.

I think S Smith is a clown but the point he is making is trying to remind people how the WORLD views them. He is saying the world and Alabama views them as a commodity, it won't last forever and as soon as they are no longer useful to the school or football they will be discarded. That's why it's important to take full advantage of what is giving to you now because it won't last forever.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13344133, Nah, he's telling them they're being used
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Tue Aug-20-19 05:03 PM
as judiciously as he can, as a guest of the program that's using them lol

he's also telling them to take full advantage of the perks they're receiving now bc they'll stop once they can't play anymore.