Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectgreat points. I am curious about your characterization of bro-ism
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13344033&mesg_id=13364182
13364182, great points. I am curious about your characterization of bro-ism
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed Jan-29-20 10:51 AM
as a side effect of victimhood

is it an aggrieved demographic turning to the 'ways of bro' to become the aggressor? like how the most effective 'red-pilling' seems to feed on anxieties of the dusk of the white majority in the US and the imagined closing of the chapter on the Western, Aryan identity? I think the bro-ism of young man bullying and online shenanigans is a separate thing entirely from what you are characterizing as the politics of the aggrieved.

I see the aggrieved feeling Sanders amplifies to be taking place in two separate spheres. one economically and socially as a country and caused by unchecked financial institutions etc., and one politically that is caused by a somewhat real, somewhat perceived media quarantine of the Sanders campaign that seems to be the unsaid m.o. of liberal news sources. I was still undecided on who I would back ultimately during the early dem debates but it seemed pretty blatant how my usual news sources (mostly WaPo and NYT) were spinning or refusing to cover Sanders. I don't see how these fairly innocuous claims can be interpreted as harmful to others or cultish.

And most, if not all of the democratic candidates were running on the steam of moral outrage. The degree to which they expressed or channeled the real, palpable outrage at this administration and at shortsightedness and hatefulness of the right as well as the degradation of our society by unchecked capitalism has varied even when examining singular candidates. As far as the ramping up of the outrage, is it merely a campaign strategy that is effective in uniting and motivating action or is it a dangerous lighting of a match in a boat at sea filled with gunpowder? I'm not seeing the latter. How is the way Bernie uses outrage different from how Warren used it (sporadically), or Beto or Castro or Kamala, besides it being more consistently, loudly and uncompromisingly expressed? Why has the consistency of the vehemence become valued in and of itself (the incessant picking apart of careers and track records)? I think there's a reason for people being drawn to stubbornness and lack of compromising in protecting ideals and it doesn't necessarily have to do with some kind of character defect or an unhealthy predisposition to belonging.