Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBecause she didn't say what he actually said.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13344033&mesg_id=13361957
13361957, Because she didn't say what he actually said.
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Jan-13-20 11:56 PM
She never said that he explicitly said "a woman can't be President." If that's what she's asserting then she needs to be crystal clear about it.

And yes - she needs to be asked about it at tomorrow's debate. This is a big deal. This can't and shouldn't just be thrown under the rug "because Bernie has so much in common with me." You can't have "so much in common" if a man fundamentally views you as unqualified for the highest office in the land because of your gender.

>I’m not even vilifying sanders for saying that, I think that
>was his practical perspective, feeling that the sexism in
>society would affect votes in certain swing states (as it did
>in 2016). I don’t take that as he wouldn’t vote himself
>for a woman or support a woman candidate but just feeling
>(like many do unfortunately) that a woman can’t win, or
>Black Person this time or a Latino etc . It’s the
>electability argument, it’s the same thing that is keeping
>Biden afloat amongst many Black voters.

>But yeah sanders had to be reset in the last debate when he
>didn’t respond directly to a question about race, his
>distaste for identity politics is pretty easy to pick up on.

Interesting points - but also somewhat tangential to the specific issue at hand: Did Sanders actually tell Warren that he doesn't believe a woman can be President? If so, it should be disqualifying and should career-ending for Sanders. Alike, if Warren embellished this story because of her rapidly declining poll numbers - then it's disqualifying and an ugly mark that will follow her for the rest of her career.

It's one thing to think that identity politics can get out of hand - it's quite another to deem somebody unqualified to be President because of immutable characteristics like race or gender.

This accusation should be taken very seriously.

-->