Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI miss my Mom so god damn much.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13343990
13343990, I miss my Mom so god damn much.
Posted by walihorse, Tue Aug-20-19 08:41 AM
Today is the 8th day without her. I'm still in shock and numb. I get distracted by something and for a little bit forget the pain and then think that Ill see her again.

8 days without hearing her voice, her laugh, her reprimands, hugging her. That all lives in my memories now and its not enough.

I'm realizing that life will be filled with counting, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, so on... since I lost her.

Going through her belongings was difficult. She was funny man, she had so much stuff, unimportant stuff, but she kept it.

I assume all parent keep things from their child's life, but seeing them preserved with love and care, overwhelms me with happiness and sadness. All things related to my mom will be like that, bittersweet.

I will try to focus more on the happy parts, but right now, it all leads to sadness.

You hear people saying, appreciate the time you got, the people you have, and the moments you share. Well its true. Even with how much as it is said, it not easy. Life seems like its just a series of choices, decisions, and uncertainty. All of these come at you moment by moment and its impossible to plan for it. Please hug, kiss, and enjoy the people that mean the most to you. Almost everything else is trivial.

Thank you again to all your kind words.
13344007, As you should... Peace & blessings!
Posted by Creole, Tue Aug-20-19 10:04 AM
13344008, Thank you for sharing, Love. 🙏🏾❤️
Posted by Walk On, Tue Aug-20-19 10:06 AM
13344024, Everyday. Peace yo
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Aug-20-19 11:06 AM
13344025, I am so sad for your loss...
Posted by TR808, Tue Aug-20-19 11:08 AM
I dont have that type of relationship with anyone in my life that I would miss that much. Not even my parents.

It makes me happy to hear about people like you that have those types of feelings... I hope that you find comfort in the fact that i am sure your mother knew how much you loved her.

13344047, Thank you and Im sorry to hear that
Posted by walihorse, Tue Aug-20-19 11:55 AM
Is the possibility of mending the relationship possible?
13344863, RE: Thank you and Im sorry to hear that
Posted by TR808, Mon Aug-26-19 02:46 PM
>Is the possibility of mending the relationship possible?

Yeah it is.... and its all on me... I just have had a hard time getting the energy up for that....
13344157, *settles in this section*
Posted by akon, Tue Aug-20-19 08:07 PM
>I dont have that type of relationship with anyone in my life
>that I would miss that much. Not even my parents.
>
>It makes me happy to hear about people like you that have
>those types of feelings...

it's always amazing to hear about people who are close to their mothers
it pleases me realize that my situation is *not* normal, and... it makes me a bit sad (and a bit wistful) because i never had *this*
but its always lovely hearing about other's experiences.
13344039, This month marked 5 years for me
Posted by dustin, Tue Aug-20-19 11:37 AM
The hardest day for me was boxing up all of her clothes. We did that on maybe day #10...

It gets easier but it never gets easy. And, no advice could help me out in the first month. Shit, even now I cringe at people who give me coping advice.

What gives me solace is the memories. They mean more than anything physical. We all go sooner or later, but losing my mom made me realize that all you can do is be good to others and hope that people speak good things about you when you're gone. When I think her now I smile.

Sorry for your loss. Keep sharing. Give yourself the time and space to cope... It's a very long process that I'm still going through.
13344045, sorry for your loss.
Posted by walihorse, Tue Aug-20-19 11:53 AM
My sister and I started boxing things up last Thursday, 3 days after.

My wife thought it was too soon. I can't say yet.

I miss her laugh and her voice.

I'm scared to forget her voice and how it sounded. I hope I ever do.
13344112, RE: sorry for your loss.
Posted by dustin, Tue Aug-20-19 03:14 PM
>My sister and I started boxing things up last Thursday, 3
>days after.
>
>My wife thought it was too soon. I can't say yet.

I bet it would always feel 'too soon'. My auntie practically dragged me outta bed the day we boxed up mom's clothes. I didn't want to do it at all. It felt like I was boxing up every memory associated with each piece of clothing.

>I miss her laugh and her voice.
>
>I'm scared to forget her voice and how it sounded. I hope I
>ever do.

Backup any voicemails or videos you have of her. I became the de-facto family archivist after my mom passed. Her voice is definitely what I miss the most.

Peace to you and your fam.
13344046, Decade for my mom and 3 years for my pops.
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Aug-20-19 11:53 AM
At least I think it’s 3 years for my pops.

It was a day or 2 after Phife passed.

13344048, 10 years. Damn I'm sorry
Posted by walihorse, Tue Aug-20-19 11:57 AM
This is unfortunately how I see it being, life has a new milestone marker that will not be forgotten.

Do you remember their voices clearly?
13344172, I will never forget their voices
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Aug-20-19 09:40 PM
and neither will you.

There are times I get sad and times when I remember something funny she said and it helps me get thru the day.

If a grandkid farted and it stunk she would say “ewww, that passed something, go handle that”
13344174, LOL
Posted by Brew, Tue Aug-20-19 09:43 PM
>If a grandkid farted and it stunk she would say “ewww, that
>passed something, go handle that”

I remember my mom's laugh and the LOOK on her face when she was laughing, so vividly.
13344241, Im glad to hear that
Posted by walihorse, Wed Aug-21-19 12:13 PM
I dreamt about her for the 1st time yesterday. She laughed and talked, I heard and saw her so clearly. I have been so afraid it would happen for some reason.

I'm so happy to hear that it will not be so easily forgotten.
13344262, Yeah... it’s the little things that help
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Aug-21-19 02:07 PM
She used to call my cell phone and the first thing she would say is.. “ this is your mother”

Like my cellphone had a random name for her number.

We recently had a family reunion and my uncles and aunts were “arguing” over nothing and my wife says.. “all I can think about is your mom describing each one of them and being spot on”

They were both weed advocates too so it helps.. I can hear their voices when I puff.

My mom: “It’s from the earth... weed ain’t a drug”

My dad: “this is the type of shit I think about when I’m high”
13344244, Man, this truly hits home...my girl asked me the exact same thing
Posted by Marbles, Wed Aug-21-19 12:17 PM

I gave her almost the exact same answer that you just gave.

I was also lucky enough to have saved a couple of voice mail messages from her dad on my phone. She isn't ready to listen to them but they're there for her when she is.
13344254, I unfortunately didn't save any.
Posted by walihorse, Wed Aug-21-19 01:36 PM
I wish I had recorded her talking.
13344106, RE: Decade for my mom and 3 years for my pops.
Posted by dustin, Tue Aug-20-19 03:08 PM
>It was a day or 2 after Phife passed.

My mom's passing was 1-2 days before Robin Williams... It was rough as fuck having everyone grieve 'with' me and then have his passing eclipse my loss. Like, damn, how quickly the world moves on. But in hindsight I am grateful for that life lesson. Grieving is a really lonely process at the end of the day.
13344193, I never forgave my boss for writing me up the first day back
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Aug-21-19 06:55 AM
after my Dad’s funeral. He didn’t have a relationship with his dad and the jealousy was obvious.

My sister pointed out how she want back to work and realized the world didn’t stop for my moms death even tho our worlds all stopped for about a month. Her death was unexpected and I had just seen her and spoke to her an hour before she passed.

but it was so frustrating seeing the world move on. That’s how it is tho.

and over time you find a place where you put that grief so you can get through the days. Little by little you push it further away on the shelf. It’s always there tho.
13344110, My old man passed 24 yrs ago. My girl lost her Dad at the end of June.
Posted by Marbles, Tue Aug-20-19 03:13 PM
She took it hard. And even after all this time of learning how to adjust to it, I really couldn't give her any advice. All I could do is just be there. Try to listen when she wanted to talk.

It's never easy, y'all. Even now, after all this time, if I dwell on it too much it'll mess me up.
13344115, Positive energy to you too
Posted by flipnile, Tue Aug-20-19 03:25 PM
13344113, Positive energy to you, brother
Posted by flipnile, Tue Aug-20-19 03:15 PM
Want you to feel better, but I also want you to be able to grieve like you need to.
13344155, one step at a time. stay up, cain nm
Posted by Binlahab, Tue Aug-20-19 07:51 PM

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
13344158, had to do this for my mom's friend recently
Posted by akon, Tue Aug-20-19 08:11 PM

>Going through her belongings was difficult. She was funny man,
>she had so much stuff, unimportant stuff, but she kept it.

drove to NC to help him go through his mother's passing
she was an amazing woman - whenever I was in her presence- she just calmed me down
and made everything peaceful and loving
I had to go down and pay my respects because that woman taught me what motherhood should be about.
we had to pack up her house, go through her things... spent time going through all the mementos she kept through the years of her children
i learnt more about my friend's childhood just looking at old pictures, letters from teachers etc that she had held on to

i cant imagine what you are going through
sending you lots of love and hugs and all the good things
you have a lot to celebrate. you lived a life of love. and i am so grateful that you shared it with us

she walks among the ancestors, now. she is watching over you. she is among us because her memory lives through you.

all the best and much love.
13344170, Sorry brother. It gets easier I promise you.
Posted by Brew, Tue Aug-20-19 09:30 PM
It never gets EASY or goes away. But with time, perspective, and hindsight you'll find ways to get through and appreciate the time you did have.

Keep pushing. You've got a guardian angel, believe that. And this is coming from a non-religious person. Her energy and soul is always part of you.
13344256, hang in there, fam
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Aug-21-19 01:45 PM
this is the worst part but you'll get through it
13344600, It's hard man and it changes us. My heart goes out to you fam
Posted by Atillah Moor, Fri Aug-23-19 10:39 AM
13345751, i'm so sorry for your loss, man. i continue to pray for your strength
Posted by poetx, Fri Aug-30-19 05:55 PM
and healing.

this is hard. my dad passed 4 years ago to this day, at 5:31 am. its not an every day all day wave anymore. but i was just tripping earlier today (without thinking about the date) how much i look like him, seeing myself in the mirror.

those happy memories today that keep sliding into sadness. that's gonna happen for a while. but eventually the sadness will recede a bit, and you can enjoy the happy parts more. the bit of salt that makes you appreciate the sweetness all the more.

but it takes time to get there. you will, though. keep talking to people. and know that it's okay to take as long as it takes you to process this.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
13345755, Sorry to hear about your loss, Fam.
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Fri Aug-30-19 06:40 PM