Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLol, no worries. Points well taken :)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13343384&mesg_id=13343605
13343605, Lol, no worries. Points well taken :)
Posted by kfine, Fri Aug-16-19 04:16 PM

I, too, am just an asshole with an opinion on here lol. The only thing I'll add is in response to your points here:

>
>Which is to say that I think you're being utterly reasonable
>in considering that some of the dynamics that drive decisions
>about labor practices, but maybe ... don't? Like, those guys
>are going to be fine unless they actually get guillotined, but
>the system they've erected is actively harming people so
>interrogating it in a way that makes an "is" into an "ought"
>is only going to find answers that benefit them. Or, in short,
>there's no such thing as "the way the world works" if you look
>at a long enough timeline.
>

I agree, they'll be fine. And I think you raise a super important point with regards to the moral relativism in anchoring our questions and/or solutions to "how the world works now" (and danger in doing so). BUT. I STILL think a thorough command of corporations' dynamics is key to delivering lasting reforms expected to work.

ESPECIALLY reforms to structural and cultural processes that further entrench (and/or, as you're getting at, even protect) toxic labor practices. Personally, I don't think it's sufficient for a labor practice to "just" be recognized as a problem, or a reform to "just" be recognized as a solution. There's that whole apparatus surrounding the problem and solution, right? With inputs including but not limited to: civic awareness, civic engagement, political representation, political will, legislative action, regulatory action, probably even some executive action lol, and of course the willful compliance of the corporations in question.

So I engage in a little devil's advocacy not so much thinking "but, but, what about the execs?!" Lol. Moreso just trying to acknowledge the "corporate" head/playbook, and the various ways that it may intersect the "apparatus". And you're right, framing things in such a way could bias solutions to benefit corporations. But, understanding the corporate perspective could also shine a light on hidden tricks, loopholes, and subculture that have become such a problem to begin with too, and enable the formation of corrections/safeguards against them. I think that's also important. Imho anyway lol