Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: I'm always fairly blown by this kind of statement.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13343252&mesg_id=13352515
13352515, RE: I'm always fairly blown by this kind of statement.
Posted by EAS, Fri Oct-18-19 12:32 AM
>The statement that jokes that perpetuate misunderstandings of
>disenfranchised groups are "challenging groupthink," and that
>this sort of challenge is a noble endeavor.

He said he don't get it. Why would you want him to pretend to understand? Just to go along with the current trend of acceptance? He put his ignorance on display which is a bold move for a celebrity because he knows it can cost him and have his career relentlessly picked apart. People are not understanding of everyone at all times and to pretend that we all 'get it' is total nonsense.

Did you watch the special? What joke was particularly hurtful or mean spirited to the lgbtqia community?

Is the community so fragile that they can't be joked upon? No people on the planet has had it as bad as the lgbtqia community?

>I assume, if groupthink is one of the great dangers today,
>that Kanye must also be a hero to anyone who feels this way,
>right? Because Kanye is absolutely publicly challenging
>groupthink of topics like "Trump is bad" and "slavery wasn't a
>choice." Of course, the group is *correct* on these charges--
>so is challenging groupthink still a noble endeavor in his
>case?

No, not exactly. But the 'Black face' Democrats/liberals are not a friend to the African American community as we'd like to think. Doesn't mean go all alt right either but there is nothing wrong with challenging the status quo. Groupthink is going along with with the most popular opinion/belief despite sufficient countering evidence. 'Trump is bad' and 'slavery wasn't a choice' isn't necessarily groupthink because there is sufficient evidence supporting it.

The dangers of groupthink is Germany. I'll leave it at that because I assume you know where I am going with it.

>Trans suicide rates are ridiculously high, and a *huge* reason
>that is is because so many people dismiss them as "guys who
>wanna put on heels and play dress-up." Which is 100% what
>Dave's jokes are rooted in. If this misleading stereotype is
>designed to perpetuate misunderstanding about trans people,
>and Dave is parroting these stereotypes in his comedy... then
>how else are people supposed to interpret what he's saying?

Trans suicide rates are high because people joke about them? Trans people have it worse than decimated African descendant communities across the globe? Jay Edgard Hoover had it worse than Martin Luther King Jr.? Millionaire Trump supporter Caitlyn Jenner can support a misogynistic rapist/racist but comedians cannot make jokes about her?

Trans suicide rates may be high, but jokes are not the sole reason. There are other things happening that needs to be looked into.

Nobody is stopping them from living their life. No laws, no call to violence; especially in this comedy special. Dave wasn't being dismissive, just not understanding the psychology of the new normal and the ever expansion of the lgbtqia (i.e. the alphabet people).

>Dave has done brilliant bits in the past that are designed to
>tell truth to power-- but he knows, at this point, that people
>feel his comments about trans people are hurtful, and he
>continues to double down on them. This isn't a comic telling
>truth to power, because trans people have no power. This isn't
>a comic trying to reveal something new about trans people,
>because his jokes are simple stereotype recitation. If he was
>*honestly* trying to work through his misunderstandings on
>trans people, there are avenues he could take that would be
>faaaar more effective than telling lazy stereotype jokes on a
>massive corporate platform to millions.
>

Dave is not telling truth to power. Dave is telling his truth. And because he is a comedian, the way he told it was funny. It's subjective, I know, but it made a good bit.

There are mean spirited bits and jokes out there that can be meant to harm. Dave's special is not it. It's important to know the difference.