Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm always fairly blown by this kind of statement.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13343252&mesg_id=13352447
13352447, I'm always fairly blown by this kind of statement.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-17-19 12:28 PM
The statement that jokes that perpetuate misunderstandings of disenfranchised groups are "challenging groupthink," and that this sort of challenge is a noble endeavor.

I assume, if groupthink is one of the great dangers today, that Kanye must also be a hero to anyone who feels this way, right? Because Kanye is absolutely publicly challenging groupthink of topics like "Trump is bad" and "slavery wasn't a choice." Of course, the group is *correct* on these charges-- so is challenging groupthink still a noble endeavor in his case?

Trans suicide rates are ridiculously high, and a *huge* reason that is is because so many people dismiss them as "guys who wanna put on heels and play dress-up." Which is 100% what Dave's jokes are rooted in. If this misleading stereotype is designed to perpetuate misunderstanding about trans people, and Dave is parroting these stereotypes in his comedy... then how else are people supposed to interpret what he's saying?

Dave has done brilliant bits in the past that are designed to tell truth to power-- but he knows, at this point, that people feel his comments about trans people are hurtful, and he continues to double down on them. This isn't a comic telling truth to power, because trans people have no power. This isn't a comic trying to reveal something new about trans people, because his jokes are simple stereotype recitation. If he was *honestly* trying to work through his misunderstandings on trans people, there are avenues he could take that would be faaaar more effective than telling lazy stereotype jokes on a massive corporate platform to millions.

I love Dave, I think he's a brilliant comedian, and he's got at least two of my favorite specials *of all time*-- but he's dead wrong for how he's approaching trans people in his jokes, and he's dead wrong for how he's reacted to people's concerns.