Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectoh, it's cool. just bracing myself for the name calling....lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13343252&mesg_id=13346265
13346265, oh, it's cool. just bracing myself for the name calling....lol
Posted by EAS, Wed Sep-04-19 02:24 PM
>And not to single you out homey. a lot of this is being
>expressed out there.
>
>Dude joked about his own son getting killed by a mass shooter.
> The point was to make us laugh at such a horrible thing.
>And he pulled it off. And part of pulling it off is that we
>know:
>
>-He doesn't want his son shot.
>-It was intended as a joke and he doesn't really mean
>literally.
>-He doesn't have any animus or hate towards his son.
>
>Not all his jokes can be explained away so easily. but alot of
>them can.
>

For not going along with the crowd. I've been reading comments/think pieces and trying to see it from as many points of view. And I just don't get the outrage.

I guess I am exhibiting straight Black male privilege here but I didn't get any malice or ill will from the special. Dude was just talking shit and fucking with people as comedians should. Comedians are not a moral authority so they shouldn't be held to those standards. They just simply tell us how they see the world and try to make it as funny as possible during the process.

I read reviews/comments beforehand and went into it expecting to be offended and ready to jump on the bandwagon and start bashing. What I got instead was an enjoyable hour of comedy where I laughed my ass off. I wanted not to laugh because a lot of people said it wasn't funny, but I couldn't help it. I saw what he was doing, his jokes connected.....fuck it. I enjoyed this special more than a few of his others. The epilogue brought it home for me.