Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectcomedy writer Rae Sanni hammered it home on Twitter
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13343252&mesg_id=13345889
13345889, comedy writer Rae Sanni hammered it home on Twitter
Posted by atruhead, Sun Sep-01-19 06:42 PM

@raesanni
I loved (most of) Dave’s special. But the gay/ Kevin Hart/ Louis CK was wack bc he’s smarter than that. A man well researched enough to get all that Jussie Smollet & opioid shit exactly right, went willfully ignorant to justify conclusions that don’t work based on HIS premises.

Dave had to pretend to not understand the impact of a slur said by white ppl to justify his use of gay slurs. Had to pretend he didn’t know Louis CK abused his power at work to justify to bit. Pretend Kevin’s words are meaningless while trying to use words meaningfully.

It made him a liar, when he is so aggressively honest otherwise. That, for me, was the disappointment. Playing dumb to justify being cruel, when he’s the smartest person around.

He was funny the whole way through, but he’s wayyyyy smarter than funny just for the sake of it, and it bummed me out to see a genius play dumb to chase mediocre bits.

(Chappelle is still a GOD to me, so this ain’t that. But all of his past “controversial” bits ppl like to point out to justify these ones never asked him to lie to me or insult his OWN intelligence to get to them.)